Solving Range & Height of Spring Gun Ball - 45° Angle

• Thread starter physics dud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a physics problem involving a spring gun and a ball being projected at an angle of 45 degrees with a horizontal range of 32 feet. The student is unsure of how to solve the problem and is seeking guidance from their professor. The professor suggests drawing a picture and writing down known and unknown information to help solve the problem. The student also mentions two other vague problems they are struggling with.
physics dud
I am not sure I can solve this, I am confused that I do not have the information I need. I am lost and my prof is of little help.

A spring gun projects a ball at an angle of 45 degrees above the horizontal. The ball has a horizontal range of 32 feet. What is the maximum height to which the ball rises, and for the same initial velocity, what are the two angles for which the range is 20 feet.

Dont I need at least a time frame to solve this?

The best part is, the other two problems are even more vague to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture of what is going on in the problem, then write down what you know and show in words what you've done. That way if you made a mistake someone can help you. It may also be helpful to write down what you know and write down what you don't know, then you know what to solve for

Xo = 0
Yo = 0
Ax = 0
Ay = -9.8m/s
Angle Theta = 45
x = 32 feet ( 9.6 m, 960 centimeters)

1. What is the equation used to calculate the range and height of a spring gun ball at a 45° angle?

The equation used to calculate the range and height of a spring gun ball at a 45° angle is:
Range = (velocity2 * sin(2θ)) / g
Height = (velocity2 * sin2(θ)) / (2 * g)

2. How do you determine the initial velocity of the spring gun ball?

The initial velocity of the spring gun ball can be determined by using a ballistic pendulum or by measuring the distance the ball travels when fired at a known angle and using the equation:
Velocity = √(Range * g) / sin(θ)

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated range and height of the spring gun ball?

The accuracy of the calculated range and height of the spring gun ball can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction, and the initial velocity of the ball. Additionally, small errors in measuring the angle or distance can also affect the accuracy of the calculated values.

4. How does changing the angle of the spring gun affect the range and height of the ball?

Changing the angle of the spring gun can affect the range and height of the ball by altering the initial velocity and direction of the ball. The higher the angle, the greater the initial velocity and the higher the height and longer the range of the ball. Conversely, a lower angle will result in a lower initial velocity and shorter range and height of the ball.

5. Can the equation be used for any projectile motion or only for a spring gun at a 45° angle?

The equation can be used for any projectile motion, not just for a spring gun at a 45° angle. However, the values for initial velocity and angle must be known or measured accurately for the equation to be applicable.