If a DVD player plays PAL or SECAM, will a NTSC TV display it?

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
In summary, a DVD player that plays PAL or SECAM media in addition to NTSC can be hooked up to an NTSC TV, but the TV will only be able to display the NTSC signal. However, it is possible to play NTSC DVDs on a PAL TV with a multi-region DVD player.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If a DVD player plays PAL or SECAM media (in addition to NTSC), can it be hooked into and displayed on an NTSC TV?

Probably that's an oxymoron, but you never know.

Computer science news on Phys.org
EnumaElish said:
If a DVD player plays PAL or SECAM media (in addition to NTSC), can it be hooked into and displayed on an NTSC TV?

Probably that's an oxymoron, but you never know.
Well yes, it will play NTSC DVDs fine, but since the TV can only play an NTSC signal you will not be able to play a PAL DVD.

Thanks for your post.

you know I have a PAL tv and play NTSC dvds through my multi region dvd player all the time...

1. What is the difference between PAL, SECAM, and NTSC?

PAL, SECAM, and NTSC are different analog television systems used in different parts of the world. PAL and SECAM are used in Europe, Asia, and some parts of Africa, while NTSC is used in North America, South America, and some parts of Asia.

2. Can a NTSC TV display PAL or SECAM signals?

No, a NTSC TV is not able to display PAL or SECAM signals without a video converter. This is because each system has different frame rates and color encoding, so the TV needs to be able to decode the specific signal it is receiving.

3. Can a DVD player that plays PAL or SECAM also play NTSC DVDs?

Yes, most modern DVD players have the capability to play multiple formats, including PAL, SECAM, and NTSC. However, the TV it is connected to must be able to display the format in order to see the video.

4. How can I tell if my TV is NTSC, PAL, or SECAM compatible?

You can check the user manual or specifications of your TV to see which formats it supports. You can also try changing the region setting on your DVD player to see if it will display on your TV.

5. Is there a way to convert PAL or SECAM signals to NTSC without a video converter?

Yes, some DVD players have a built-in option to convert PAL or SECAM signals to NTSC. However, the quality of the converted signal may not be as good as using an external video converter. It is always best to check the specifications of your DVD player to see if it has this feature.