How Do You Calculate the Angle Between Two Vectors?

• Thread starter azila
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle between two vectors A and B using their vector product, AXB, which has been given as -4.90k + 2.01i. The individual components of AXB, 2.01 and -4.90, were used to calculate the magnitude of C, which is equal to the magnitude of A multiplied by the magnitude of B and multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. However, it was later realized that the inverse sine (arcsin) should have been used instead of the sine in the equation.
azila
Easy problem that I am stuck on...

Homework Statement

Two vectors A and B have magnitude of A = 3.02 B=3.00. Their vector product is AXB = -4.90k + 2.01i. What is the angle between vector A and vector B?

Homework Equations

since I know the vector product of A and B, I was thinking that Cx = 2.01 and Cz = -4.90. I would then add them together to get -2.89. Then could i use the equation C = ABsin(theta). That would be like

-2.89 = (3.02)(3.00)sin(theta)
-.319=sin(theta)
-18.6 = theta
I don't know if this is the right path to follow but this is what I could come up with.

The Attempt at a Solution

THANKS for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
it's
[tex]\left| c\right| =\left| a\right| \,\left| b\right| \,sin\left( p\right) [/tex]
where c = a x b

so am I solving it incorrectly because i am using the same equation, its just that I don't know if the value of c that I have is correct. Also the answer I get is not right. So, what should I change? thanks for the help though.

get the absolute value of c.
c^2=x^2+y^2+z^2

Thank You So Much! I Realized What I Was Doing Wrong Was That I Was Taking The Sin When I Should Have Been Taking The Arcsin. Thanks Again!

1. What is the best approach to solving this easy problem?

The best approach to solving any problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying the key components of the problem and then work through each step systematically.

2. I have tried multiple solutions but none of them seem to work. What should I do?

If you have exhausted all possible solutions and are still stuck, it may be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Sometimes stepping away from the problem can help you see it in a new light and come up with a solution.

3. I am struggling to understand the problem. How can I better comprehend it?

One strategy for understanding a problem is to draw a diagram or visualize the problem in a different way. This can help you see the problem from a different angle and possibly come up with a solution.

4. I am running out of time and need to solve this problem quickly. What should I do?

If you are pressed for time, it may be helpful to focus on the most crucial parts of the problem and try to come up with a solution for those first. You can always come back to the smaller details later if time allows.

5. I am feeling overwhelmed and frustrated with this easy problem. What can I do to stay motivated?

It's important to remember that everyone gets stuck on problems from time to time, and it's completely normal to feel frustrated. Take a deep breath, step away from the problem for a few minutes, and then come back to it with a positive attitude. You can also try breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts to make it feel less overwhelming.