Prove: (S ∩ T) ∪ U = S ∩ (T ∪ U)

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving proving or disproving the statement (S ∩ T) ∪ U = S ∩ (T ∪ U). The individual is trying to find the contrapositive of this statement and is asking for help in understanding how to approach the problem. The solution involves selecting an element from one side of the equality and showing that it is also contained in the other side, thus proving equivalence.
mutzy188

Homework Statement

Prove or give a counterexample to each statement.

(S ∩ T) ∪ U = S ∩ (T ∪ U)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I proved by the contrapositive

S (T ∩ U) ≠ (S ∩ T) ∪ U

where would I go from there. How do I find the contrapositive with the unions and intersections?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how that's a contrpositive... contrapositive involves an implication... but this is an equality you need to prove or disprove...

then:

T∪U ∩ S = S ∩ (T ∪ U)

but then where do I go from here

mutzy188 said:

then:

T∪U ∩ S = S ∩ (T ∪ U)

but then where do I go from here

How did you get that?

The contrapositive doesn't work because you're not proving implication, but an equivalence of sets.

Choose an arbitrary element contained in the set on one side of the equality, and then show that it's contained in the set on the other side of the equality. That proves the first set is a subset of the set on the other side. Then start on the other side of the equality and follow the same process. That proves equivalence.

That's the gameplan for your proof.

Last edited:

1. What does the equation (S ∩ T) ∪ U = S ∩ (T ∪ U) mean?

The equation (S ∩ T) ∪ U = S ∩ (T ∪ U) is a statement in set theory that represents the union of two sets. In this case, it is stating that the union of the intersection of sets S and T, with set U, is equal to the intersection of set S with the union of sets T and U.

2. What is the significance of this equation in mathematics?

This equation is significant because it is one of the fundamental laws of set theory, known as the distributive law. It helps to show the relationship between sets and how they can be manipulated using basic operations.

3. How can this equation be proven?

This equation can be proven using logical reasoning and mathematical properties of sets, such as the distributive property and the commutative property. By breaking down each side of the equation and rearranging the terms, it can be shown that they are equivalent.

4. Can this equation be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, this equation can be applied in real-world situations. For example, it can be used in probability and statistics to represent the likelihood of events occurring together or separately. It can also be used in computer science and data analysis to manipulate and compare different sets of data.

5. Are there any exceptions to this equation?

No, there are no exceptions to this equation. The distributive law is a fundamental property of sets and will always hold true for any sets S, T, and U, regardless of their elements or size.