Unit Vector Notation Solution: Express Vector a1 & a2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding expressions for vector a1 and vector a2 in unit vector notation, given two equations involving vector a3. The solution involves forming the sum and difference of the equations to simplify the problem. This method is useful in many cases and can save time compared to using general simultaneous equation-solving techniques.
saber1357

Homework Statement

Vector a1 + vector a2 = 5*vector a3
Vector a1 - vector 12 = 3*vector a3
Vector a3 = 2i + 2j (i and j are the vector components)
Express 1) vector a1 and 2) vector a2 in unit vector notation

Homework Equations

Vector R = Ax + Yx

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the first equation and replaces the a3 with 2i+2j, so vector a1 + vector a2 = 5(2i + 2j)
a1 + a2 = 10i + 10j
I solved for R and found direction, but I do'nt believe that helps at all. (R = sqr root of 200 and direction was 45 degrees).
From the first equation with addition, I could conclude that vector a1 could equal = 10i +0j and vector a2 could equal 0i + 10j. However, these values don't work for the second equation with the subtraction. Is there some sort of secret to this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the trick. It is very simple and you will have many occasions to use it. Simply form the sum and difference of equations (1) and (2) any time you see a pair of equations of the form

[tex]\begin{align} x + y &= a\\x - y &= b\end{align}[/tex]

Doing this yields

[tex]\begin{align*} 2x &= a+b\\2y &= a-b\end{align*}[/tex]

This is much, much simpler than using the general simulataneous equations problem-solving techniques and these kind of paired equations occur all the time.

Brilliant! Simply brilliant.
I love you.

1. What is unit vector notation?

Unit vector notation is a way to express a vector in terms of its magnitude and direction. It is represented by a unit vector, which has a magnitude of 1 and points in the same direction as the original vector. This notation is commonly used in mathematics and physics.

2. How do you express a vector using unit vector notation?

To express a vector using unit vector notation, you first need to determine the unit vectors that correspond to the x, y, and z axes. These are denoted as i, j, and k, respectively. Then, you multiply each unit vector by the magnitude of the original vector in that direction. For example, if the vector is written as (3, 4, 5), the unit vector notation would be 3i + 4j + 5k.

3. Why is unit vector notation useful?

Unit vector notation is useful because it allows us to break down a vector into its components and easily perform mathematical operations on it. It also helps us to visualize the direction and magnitude of the vector, making it easier to understand and work with in various applications.

4. Can you use unit vector notation to solve problems?

Yes, unit vector notation can be used to solve problems in physics and mathematics. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving forces, displacement, and velocity, as well as in vector calculus and linear algebra.

5. How can you determine the unit vectors of a vector?

The unit vectors of a vector can be determined by dividing each component of the vector by its magnitude. For example, if the vector is written as (3, 4, 5), the unit vector in the x-direction would be (3/5)i, the unit vector in the y-direction would be (4/5)j, and the unit vector in the z-direction would be (5/5)k.