Which Gas Behaves Most Ideally: N2, CO, or H2?

In summary, the most ideally behaving gas among N_2, CO, and H_2 is a topic of debate, with some sources claiming nitrogen gas to be the most ideal while others suggest hydrogen gas due to its small size. The use of the van der Waals equation and correction factors may be helpful in determining the ideality of a specific gas.
sam.

Homework Statement

In general, which of the following gases would you expect to behave the most ideally?
a) N_2
b) CO
c) H_2

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I know that CO would definitely not behave the most ideally. I tried looking this up on the internet and I read that He would act the most ideally because it is the smallest molecule, and seeing how hydrogen is the next smallest, I think the answer is c) hydrogen gas but then I saw on another site that they said that nitrogen gas was the most ideal...so I am slightly confused. Anybody can shed some light please? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if the van der Waals equation and the correction factors could be used to rank the ideality of a particular gas?

I would approach this question by examining the ideal gas law and its assumptions. The ideal gas law states that at constant temperature and pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of the gas. It also assumes that the gas molecules have no volume and there are no intermolecular forces between them.

Based on this, we can determine that the gas with the smallest molecular size and the least intermolecular forces would behave the most ideally. This would suggest that hydrogen gas would behave the most ideally, as it has the smallest molecular size and only one proton, making it a non-polar molecule with weak intermolecular forces.

However, we also need to consider the temperature and pressure at which the gases are being compared. At very high temperatures and low pressures, all gases tend to behave more ideally. Therefore, if we are comparing the behavior of these gases at extreme conditions, we may see nitrogen gas behaving the most ideally due to its diatomic nature and larger molecular size compared to hydrogen.

In conclusion, based on the assumptions of the ideal gas law and considering the temperature and pressure, hydrogen gas would be expected to behave the most ideally. However, the behavior of gases can also vary depending on the conditions, so it is important to consider all factors when making a conclusion.

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a system. It is typically written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What are the units used in the Ideal Gas Law?

The units used in the Ideal Gas Law depend on the units used for pressure, volume, temperature, and the ideal gas constant. Pressure is typically measured in atmospheres (atm) or kilopascals (kPa), volume in liters (L) or cubic meters (m3), temperature in Kelvin (K), and the ideal gas constant has units of L·atm/mol·K or m3·Pa/mol·K.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law assumes that the gas particles have no volume, that there are no attractive or repulsive forces between the particles, and that the collisions between particles and with the container walls are perfectly elastic. These assumptions are only valid for ideal gases, which do not exist in real life. However, the Ideal Gas Law is still a useful approximation for many real gases under certain conditions.

4. How is the Ideal Gas Law used in chemistry?

The Ideal Gas Law is used to calculate the behavior of gases in various chemical reactions and processes. It can be used to determine the volume of a gas at a given pressure and temperature, to calculate the pressure exerted by a gas in a container, or to find the temperature of a gas when its volume and pressure are known. The Ideal Gas Law is also used in gas law calculations, such as Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and Avogadro's Law.

5. What are the limitations of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is only valid for ideal gases under certain conditions. Real gases do not behave exactly as predicted by the Ideal Gas Law, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law does not take into account intermolecular forces or the volume of gas particles, which can affect the behavior of gases in real life. Therefore, the Ideal Gas Law is a useful approximation, but it has its limitations in accurately describing the behavior of real gases.