Need a refresher on partial differentiation and gradients for energy problems?

In summary, partial differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its independent variables, while holding the other variables constant. It is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and more, as it allows us to analyze how a function changes with respect to one variable, while keeping all other variables constant. It differs from ordinary differentiation in that it focuses on one variable while holding others constant. The notation used for partial differentiation is ∂, and it has many real-life applications such as optimization problems, economics, and engineering.
plutoisacomet
Hello guys, My class is heading into energy with non-conservative and conservative forces. I am not in Calc this semester so is there a guide to partial differentiation and gradients that you can share with me to get up to speed?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this: http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/partialdifferentiation/

Thanks Doc Al that link is very helpful. I can do my energy problem sets now.
Many thanks.

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its independent variables, while holding the other variables constant.

2. Why is partial differentiation important?

Partial differentiation is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and more. It allows us to analyze how a function changes with respect to one variable, while keeping all other variables constant. This helps us understand the behavior of complex systems and make predictions based on the given variables.

3. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

In ordinary differentiation, we find the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable. In partial differentiation, we find the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. This allows us to analyze the effect of one variable on the overall function.

4. What is the notation used for partial differentiation?

The most common notation for partial differentiation is ∂ (pronounced "partial"). For example, the partial derivative of a function f with respect to x would be written as ∂f/∂x.

5. What are some real-life applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation has many real-life applications, such as in optimization problems, where we want to maximize or minimize a function with multiple variables. It is also used in economics to analyze supply and demand functions, and in physics to calculate rates of change in complex systems. In engineering, it is used to optimize designs and understand the behavior of systems with multiple variables.