Wire with Current and electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses a long wire with a circular cross section carrying a steady current. The first question asks for an expression for the magnetic field inside and outside the wire, assuming a constant current density. The second question asks for the electric field required to drive a current of 1A in a long copper wire with a specific diameter. The third question asks for the largest magnetic field within the wire and the ratio of the magnetic force to the electric force on an electron moving with the current at the position of strongest magnetic field. The individual is struggling with part b and is unsure if there is a mistake in the problem. They also need help with part c, specifically obtaining the ratio of the magnetic force to the electric force.
emtilt
Wire with Current and associated fields - Urgent help needed

Homework Statement

A long wire of circular cross section with radius a carries a steady current i. Let the coordinate z denote position along the wire, [tex]\phi[/tex] denot orientation around the wire, and r denote perpendicular distance to the wire.
a)Assume a constant current density on the wire. Find an expression for the magnetic field inside and outside the wire.

b)A long 18-gauge copper wire has a diameter of 0.0403in. If the current in the wire is i=1A, what is the electric field required to drive the current in this wire?

c) What is the largest magnetic field within the wire? What is the ratio of the magnetic force to the electric force on an electron moving with the current at the position of strongest magnetic field?

I got part A easily enough. But, I have no idea what to do on part b. I couldn't get anywhere even after looking in my textbook, so I'm even wondering if maybe there was an error in the problem and the teacher left something out. Is there a way to do this that I am missing? For part c, I believe the magnetic field is strongest at the surface, but I have no idea how to get that ratio. The only thing I can think of is to write [tex]F_B=qv\mu_0 i/2\pi a[/tex] and [tex]F_E=q\rho j[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help with this? I forgot to mention that I need help somewhat urgently, before tomorrow. I've been staring at this for quite some time and have made no progress.

/2\pi r.

I would first like to commend you for reaching out for help when you were stuck. It shows that you are taking your work seriously and are willing to put in the effort to understand the material.

Now, let's tackle the problem at hand. Part A asks you to find an expression for the magnetic field inside and outside the wire. This can be done using Ampere's law, which states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current enclosed by that loop multiplied by the permeability of free space. In this case, the closed loop would be a circle of radius r, centered at the wire, and the current enclosed would be the current i. Using this information, you should be able to find the magnetic field inside and outside the wire.

For part B, the question is asking for the electric field required to drive a current of 1A through a wire with a diameter of 0.0403in. This can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that the electric field is equal to the current divided by the resistance. The resistance can be calculated using the formula R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of copper, L is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

For part C, you are correct in thinking that the magnetic field is strongest at the surface of the wire. To find the ratio of the magnetic force to the electric force on an electron moving with the current at the position of strongest magnetic field, you can use the formula F_B/F_E = v/μ_0ρ, where v is the velocity of the electron, μ_0 is the permeability of free space, and ρ is the resistivity of copper. This will give you the ratio at any point along the wire, and you can then find the maximum value at the surface.

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. If you are still having trouble, I would suggest reaching out to your teacher or a tutor for further clarification. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the relationship between current and electric field in a wire?

In a wire, the electric field is created by the flow of current. As the current moves through the wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire, which in turn creates an electric field along the length of the wire. This electric field is responsible for the movement of charges through the wire.

2. How does the direction of current affect the electric field in a wire?

The direction of current in a wire determines the direction of the electric field surrounding the wire. If the current is flowing in one direction, the electric field will also be in the same direction. However, if the current changes direction, the electric field will also change direction.

3. How does the strength of the current affect the electric field in a wire?

The strength of the current directly affects the strength of the electric field in a wire. As the current increases, the electric field becomes stronger. This is because the movement of more charges creates a stronger magnetic field, which in turn creates a stronger electric field.

4. What is the role of resistance in the relationship between current and electric field in a wire?

Resistance plays a crucial role in the relationship between current and electric field in a wire. The higher the resistance of the wire, the lower the current that can flow through it. This means that the electric field created by the current will also be weaker. On the other hand, a lower resistance allows for a higher current and a stronger electric field.

5. How does the shape and material of a wire affect the electric field and current?

The shape and material of a wire can have a significant impact on the electric field and current. A thicker wire with a larger cross-sectional area will have a lower resistance and allow for a stronger current and electric field. The material of the wire also affects the resistance, with materials such as copper having a lower resistance compared to materials like steel. Additionally, the shape of the wire can affect the direction of the electric field, with a coiled wire creating a more concentrated field compared to a straight wire.