What is the equilibrium condition for a double inclined plane?

• Thread starter pooface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, two boards of length 5m and 8m are hinged together to form a double inclined plane. Two blocks of equal weight are placed on the boards and connected by a cord passing over a frictionless pulley. The coefficient of friction between blocks and boards is 0.3. To show that the system is in equilibrium, the calculations of forces and friction forces are performed, leading to a net force of 0 and thus proving equilibrium. This is achieved by assuming that the system accelerates in either direction and finding that the net force remains negative, indicating equilibrium.
pooface

Homework Statement

two boards of length 5m and 8m are hinged together and the hinge supported 4m above the ground, thus forming a double inclined plane 13m long measured along the slopes. Two blocks of equal weight are placed on the boards and connected by a cord passing over a frictionless pulley at the apex. If the coefficent of friction between blocks and boards is 0.3

a) show that the system is in equilibrium.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3209/q10fs0.jpg diagram

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Block A: The left one.
FN=mgcos53.13deg
Frictionforce=mgcos53.15deg*(0.3)
=0.18mg
Force=mgsin53.13deg
=0.8mg

Block B: The right one.
FN=mgcos30deg
Frictionforce=mgcos30deg*(0.3)
=0.2598mg
Force=mgsin30deg
=0.5mg

If these calculations are correct then I don't see how they are in equilibrium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the static friction force on each block is less than or equal to uN.

it doesn't state that the coefficient is static(implying equilibrium).

it only gives a coefficient of friction. After calculating the forces and friction forces and finding the net result it doesn't seem they are in equilibrium.

Can someone show where I am going wrong in my calculations?

What about mgsin(theta) component on each block? Further on one of the blocks the frictional force will be up the incline and on the other down.

yup i have accounted for all those factors.

If I use block A I get:

0.8(downwards force along slope) - 0.18(friction force) + 0.2598(friction force of block B) - 0.5(force of block B along slope) = 0.48

There must be some fundamental thing I am leaving out or that the system is not in equilibrium at all.

According to the professor it is.

The way I do these problems is to first assume that the system is in equilibrium (ie a = 0)... then see if the frictional forces come out to < uN... if they do, then they are indeed in equilibrium... if they don't, or can't... then the system isn't in equilibrium...

don't assume the frictional force is uN... just let the frictional forces be f1 and f2...

The system tends to try to accelerate to the left... so the left side has the fricion upward... right side has the friction downward...

for the left block.

mgsin(theta1) - T - f1 = 0
mg*4/5 - T - f1 = 0.

f1 = T - mg*4/5

what is the equivalent equation for the right block? what is f2?

T-mg*4/8 - f2=0
f2=T-mg*4/8

I think I see what is going on though.

If we assume the system accelerates to the left: The net force will be
mg*4/5 - f1(which is 0.18mg) - f2(which is 0.2598mg) - mg*4/8 = Negative answer!

By F=ma we get a negative acceleration.

If we assume the system accelerates to the RIGHT the net force will also be negative! This also gives negative acceleration. Therefore the system must be in equilibrium. I was just getting my signs mixed up which you cleared up. I was thinking the right side friction was going upwards.

Thanks lot learningphysics!

Ah... good. I was actually not thinking that way exactly. But that's better than what I was thinking! :)

1. What is equilibrium on slopes?

Equilibrium on slopes refers to the state of balance or stability reached by an object or system on a sloped surface, where the forces acting on the object are equal and opposite, resulting in no net movement.

2. What factors affect equilibrium on slopes?

The factors that affect equilibrium on slopes include the slope angle, the weight and shape of the object, and the forces acting on the object such as gravity, friction, and normal force.

3. How do you calculate equilibrium on slopes?

To calculate equilibrium on slopes, you can use the formula Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force acting on the object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. If the net force is equal to zero, then the object is in equilibrium.

4. What happens if equilibrium on slopes is not achieved?

If equilibrium on slopes is not achieved, the object will either slide down the slope or tip over, depending on the forces acting on it. This can occur if the forces are not balanced or if the slope angle is too steep.

5. How is equilibrium on slopes important in real life?

Equilibrium on slopes is important in real life as it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects on sloped surfaces, such as a car traveling on a curved road or a person standing on a steep hill. It is also crucial in engineering and construction, where structures and objects must be designed to maintain equilibrium and avoid accidents.