AP Calc Q: Find Time When Object at x=10/3

In summary: Then, you can set x(t)=10/3 and solve for t to find the time when the object will be at x=10/3.In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem in AP Calculus involving finding the time when an object will be at a certain position on the x-axis. The student is attempting to solve the problem by setting the given velocity function equal to the desired position, but is reminded to use a position function instead.
ERAUin08
Hey guys I need some help with one of my AP Calc question. My luck is that it will be very simple. Thanks for your help

Homework Statement

The velocity of an object, starting at the origin, and moving along the x-axis is given by
V(t)=(t-1)(t+1)^1/2. Find the time when the object will be at x=10/3. Units are not given. Since we are dealing with the x-axis I am using units as the measurement of distance and second as the measurement as time.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt to find t was to set 10/3 equal to my V(t) which I then got 13.842 seconds. Then to see if this is possibly a reasonable answer I substituted 13.842 in for t and found the velocity which was 3.593 units per second.

Im not really sure if I am approaching this problem correctly. I feel that what I did was a little too easy for second semester calculus. Thanks for your help everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
V(t) is a velocity function, not a position function. You cannot set the position x=10/3 equal to the velocity function, V(t).

HINT: You need to use your velocity function, V(t), to find a position function, x(t).

1. How do you find the time when an object is at x=10/3 in AP Calculus?

To find the time when an object is at a specific position in AP Calculus, we use the equation x(t) = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2. The value of t at the given position, x=10/3, can be solved for by rearranging the equation and substituting the known values of x0, v0, and a.

2. What information do you need to find the time when an object is at x=10/3 in AP Calculus?

To find the time when an object is at a specific position in AP Calculus, you will need to know the initial position (x0), initial velocity (v0), and acceleration (a) of the object. These values can be given in the problem or can be calculated from the given information.

3. Is there a specific formula for finding the time when an object is at x=10/3 in AP Calculus?

Yes, the formula for finding the time when an object is at a specific position in AP Calculus is x(t) = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2. This formula is derived from the basic kinematic equations and can be used for any position, not just x=10/3.

4. Can you use a graph to find the time when an object is at x=10/3 in AP Calculus?

Yes, a graph can be used to find the time when an object is at a specific position in AP Calculus. The x-axis of the graph represents time, and the y-axis represents position. The point where the graph intersects the line x=10/3 will correspond to the time when the object is at that position.

5. Is knowing the time when an object is at x=10/3 important in AP Calculus?

Yes, knowing the time when an object is at a specific position is important in AP Calculus because it allows us to analyze the motion of the object. By knowing the time, we can calculate the object's velocity and acceleration at that point, as well as determine other important information about its motion.