Help Needed: Solving Mechanics Problem in Norway

• Thread starter eivert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, this person is trying to figure out how to solve a mechanics problem, but is having difficulty because they do not have the right diagrams. They need to diagram each of the rods separately in order to solve the problem.
eivert
Hello everyone

Iam practicing for my exam in mechanics and I can't figure out how to solve this problem. I need to find the forces in B and C.

Please help..

Greetings from cold norway

mekanikk.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
mekanikk.JPG

This is how I think the forces is working. Cant figure out if this is correct

the reactions at the supports look correct. you need to isolate the top portion of the structure (sum moments about C) to start getting answers.

When you attempt to solve the external reaction forces, you have 4 unknowns at those supports, but only the 3 equilibrium equations (sum of forces in x direction = 0, sum of forces in y direction = 0, and sum of moments about any point = 0). Thus, you'll need another equation to solve for all the support reactions. As haynewp has noted, you've got to start disassembling the frame with free body diagrams of the members in order to get the 4th equation you need, taking advantage in identifying the '2 force' members that will take axial load only.

I went ahead and solved it. There is actually one other step I used prior to summing moments about point C. You still have to isolate part of the structure as noted above which is the most important idea for this problem. I also found your vertical reaction at D looks like it is going in the wrong direction (should be pointing down). But I only knew this for sure after I went through the rest of the required process.

Welcome to PF!

Hi eivert! Welcome to PF from warm but rainy England! :smile:

I'm sorry, but your diagram will not help.

(For example, on your diagram at B, there should be the force of BE on AC and the equal and opposite force of AC on BE)

You need separate diagrams for each of the rods.

Start with rods CG and BE (as PhanthomJay suggests). :smile:

1. How difficult is the mechanics problem in Norway?

The difficulty of the mechanics problem in Norway can vary depending on the specific problem being addressed. However, Norway is known for its high level of education and expertise in engineering and physics, so the mechanics problem may be more challenging compared to other countries.

2. What type of mechanics problem is it?

The mechanics problem in Norway can encompass a variety of topics, such as statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics. It may also involve applications of mechanics in different industries, such as transportation, energy, and construction.

3. Is there a specific approach or method that should be used to solve the problem?

There is no one specific approach or method that can be applied to all mechanics problems in Norway. Each problem may require a unique approach and may involve a combination of theoretical knowledge, mathematical analysis, and experimental data.

4. Are there any resources or experts available to help with solving the mechanics problem in Norway?

Yes, there are various resources and experts available to help with solving the mechanics problem in Norway. These may include textbooks, online resources, research papers, and professionals in the field of mechanics and engineering.

5. Is it possible to find a solution to the mechanics problem in Norway?

Yes, it is possible to find a solution to the mechanics problem in Norway. With the right knowledge, skills, and resources, it is possible to effectively analyze and solve even the most complex mechanics problems. Additionally, collaboration with other experts and professionals can also lead to finding a solution.