Exploring Beyond Neutrinos for New Physics

• Thread starter Atakor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrinos
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is starting a PhD in theoretical high energy physics, and is looking for a subject related to neutrino physics. They mention possible topics like double beta decay, leptogenesis, and neutrino mass mechanisms. The other person suggests studying "Neutrinos as Majorana fermions" and relating it to neutrinoless double beta decay and the see-saw mechanism for neutrino mass generation. They also mention that the person is already part of a leading group in this field.
Atakor
Hello,

I am hunting informations about new physics.
I am starting a phd in theoretical high energy physics. because of the funding (the part that gives nightmares) the subject HAS TO BE related to neutrino physics (in fact I am in a leading group in this field).
So, what do you think (personal opinion) is the best link : neutrinos -> new physics ?

Double beta decay ? Leptogenesis ? flavors ? ...
Please, tell me what you think.Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Atakor said:
in fact I am in a leading group in this field
Why do you ask here then ? :uhh:

Hello Humanino,
Why do you ask here then ?
humm...
I think we can always put this answer..
we all work in labs or have access to books...

Anyway, this maybe different a bit. I want to gather the max of information, that's all..
from people not only in my lab.
Thanks anyway.

Hello,

what do you think about neutrinos mass mechanisms, sneutrinos dark matter,
neutrinos and Dark energy... ?

I don't think there is any hope to relate neutrinos to Dark Energy. And sneutrino dark matter is mostly dead, I thought.

What did you chose? I am currently studying leptogenesis so would be interested in your views if you ended up taking that route

Soph

I would suggest "Neutrinos as Majorana fermions"; this would mean that they are their own anti-particles and could be related to neutrinoless double beta decay which is forbidden (or at least duppressed) in the standad model. In addition this can be related to the see-saw mechanism for neutrino mass generation with a light and a rather heavy sterile neutrino.

I am afraid this is not really new as you work in group of neutrino experts ...

1. What are neutrinos and why are they important in physics?

Neutrinos are a type of subatomic particle that have very little mass and no electric charge. They are important in physics because they are the most abundant matter particles in the universe, and their behavior could provide insights into fundamental physics theories and the properties of matter.

2. How are scientists exploring beyond neutrinos for new physics?

Scientists are exploring beyond neutrinos for new physics by studying other subatomic particles, such as muons and electrons, that can also provide clues about the nature of matter. They are also conducting experiments to test theories that go beyond the Standard Model, which is the current framework of particle physics.

3. What are some potential areas of new physics that could be uncovered through studying particles other than neutrinos?

Some potential areas of new physics that could be uncovered through studying particles other than neutrinos include the existence of new particles, the nature of dark matter, and the origin of matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe.

4. How do scientists detect and study particles other than neutrinos?

Scientists use a variety of methods to detect and study particles other than neutrinos. These methods include particle accelerators, where particles are collided at high speeds, and detectors that can observe the particles' interactions and properties.

5. What are the potential implications of discovering new physics beyond neutrinos?

The potential implications of discovering new physics beyond neutrinos could include a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe, advancements in technology and energy production, and potential applications in fields such as medicine and materials science.