Any suggestions for a University?

In summary: US. In summary, I am looking for something with very strong Physics program as well as Aerospace(Astronautical) Engineering,Electrical Engineering.Computer Science AND Astronomy...that seems about right. Of course lots of research opportunities.
thewhills
I am looking for something with very strong Physics program as well as Aerospace(Astronautical) Engineering,Electrical Engineering.Computer Science AND Astronomy...that seems about right.
Of course lots of research opportunities.

Something that lacks no class in a field, but also has weird classes. I think Science/Engineering in Sci-Fi was a classic I saw at some school.
A Science/Tech and Space policy program is a huge plus.

I want to be a bit techy/geeky feel.

I am willing to go anywhere location wise as long as the speak English since I am not sure where I want to live, but "prefer" a city,either San Francisco,Silicon Valley area,the D.C Area,Boston,New York,Seattle and maybe even London.

My final thing is I need something not too selective.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's asking for a lot! I have yet to hear of a uni that meets all your requirements. It'll be cool if it existed though :)

Academic is obvious the most important.

For the USA, I suggest using the search engine at ABET (which accredits engineering programs) to search for universities with aeronautical engineering programs. That will give you a list to start with. Then you can pick out the ones in likely locations and investigate them further to see which ones have the other programs you're interested in.

I agree, start with ABET.

I'm afraid that schools with so many strong programs in so many fields are going to be selective. That's how they get to be selective.

In Canada, Waterloo is good.

thewhills said:
I am looking for something with very strong Physics program as well as Aerospace(Astronautical) Engineering,Electrical Engineering.Computer Science AND Astronomy...that seems about right.
Of course lots of research opportunities.

My final thing is I need something not too selective.

In Texas, I know that UT Austin has degrees for all of those, and gets lots of funding, so research opportunities should be easy to get (I don't go there so I don't know though). Its also ranked fairly high, but getting admitted isn't too hard (all you need is a good class rank and a fairly good SAT/ACT score).

Minor correct, it isn't to hard if you are from Texas (due to the top 10% rule) but since many people from in-state come, they are a bit more selective from out-of-state. But I do suggest them for engineering or Texas A & M.

I'll vouch for UT Austin. You should definitely check it out. It has good programs for all the areas you mentioned (I'm in Physics myself, and I'm very satisfied so far). There are plenty of research opportunities as well. Admission requirements are pretty reasonable too.

If you are scared of living in Texas (like I was), Austin is actually a sort of intellectual/liberal oasis within the state. I've liked living here more than I thought I would.

The only thing UT may lack is the tech/geeky feel, but I'm sure you can find the right people to hang out with if that's what you want.

Thanks for the list, it helps...Options are sadly slim...

If you're interested in working on space probes, you might investigate the University of Arizona, which is home base for the Phoenix Mars lander that touched down in May. (I happened to be visiting Tucson at that time and went to the university to watch the festivities.) U of A is strong in astrophysics and astronomy in general (Kitt Peak National Observatory is near Tucson), and I think it's also well-known for optics in general.

http://www.metu.edu/index.php" [Broken]

Astrophysics
Aerospace Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering

Check this out ABET approved too.. :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Turkey would be a little...weird.

If you're looking to come to london, Imperial College would be the standard choice.

^^^^
It doesn't have to be in London.

thewhills said:
Turkey would be a little...weird.

Just messing with you, Haha. I bet you were scratching your head the whole time after reading my response earlier. Anyway, here is a chart of Top Institutions in the World by comparison, have fun looking them all up out and good luck finding the right program.:blushing:

-- http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniversityrankings/results/2007/subject_rankings/natural_sciences/" [Broken]

-- http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniversityrankings/results/2007/subject_rankings/technology/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest fear with going outside the US is being behind.
For example in the US, getting a B in AP calc is considered wonderful.
But in the UK that is pathetic because they finish Calc in like 9th grade.

thewhills said:
But in the UK that is pathetic because they finish Calc in like 9th grade.

Erm.. no we don't. In the UK, Calculus isn't taught until 6th form, or what we call college. To try and compare, this is two years before you go to university.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a university?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a university include the academic programs offered, the location and campus environment, the cost and financial aid options, the reputation and rankings of the university, and the opportunities for extracurricular activities and internships.

2. How do I determine if a university is a good fit for me?

To determine if a university is a good fit for you, you should research the academic programs, campus culture, and opportunities available at the university. You can also visit the campus, attend information sessions or open houses, and talk to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the university.

3. What are the benefits of attending a large university versus a small university?

Attending a large university can offer more diverse academic programs, larger class sizes, and a wider range of extracurricular activities. On the other hand, a small university may offer smaller class sizes, more personalized attention from professors, and a tighter-knit community. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and educational goals.

4. What are some red flags to look out for when researching a university?

Some red flags to look out for when researching a university include a high student-to-faculty ratio, low graduation rates, or a lack of resources and support for students. It is also important to consider the reputation and accreditation of the university.

5. How can I find out about the job placement rates for graduates of a university?

You can find out about the job placement rates for graduates of a university by researching the university's career services department and alumni network. You can also look into the types of companies and industries that recruit from the university and reach out to alumni to ask about their career experiences after graduation.