Exploring Feynman Diagrams: The Concept of Time Reversibility

• Thread starter Trip2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Feynman
In summary: But the point is that the diagrams are a way of representing certain mathematical properties, and they do have a specific meaning in particle physics.i don't think it right becuase causality violation's would occur.
Trip2
what does Feynman's diagram prove? i know it deals with something "going back in time"

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't "prove" anything exactly. It's a depiction. Asking what it proves is like asking what Raphael's "Transfiguration of Christ" proves. But the idea is that they are a representation of subatomic processes. In some of these processes, a particular kind of particle known as "antiparticles" are created. These antiparticles have a few strange properties- if they ever meet their "normal" matter counterpart, they annihilate each other- both particles cease to exist, and energy is given off (as light/heat/gamma-ray radiation etc.). In the mathematical description of these particles, you take the description of a "normal" particle and replace the variable describing how they behave with time with its own negative (amongst a couple of other changes). So wheras a normal particle experiences t seconds, an antiparticle experiences -t -as if it's gone backwards in time.

o ok i kind of see where your getting at.so in reality there is no particle or anti-particle going back in time?

muppet said:
But the idea is that they are a representation of subatomic processes.

Actually, they are much more general than that. Diagrams are also used in e.g. many-body problems in solid state physics. They are basically a very general tool used in field theory that can be used to perform certain calculations (if I remember correctly each diagram represents a term in an expansion of the S-matrix), i.e. they are not only used to illustrate various processes; the extra "loops" etc seen in more complicated diagrams do actually have a specfic meaning.

f95toli said:
Actually, they are much more general than that. Diagrams are also used in e.g. many-body problems in solid state physics. They are basically a very general tool used in field theory that can be used to perform certain calculations (if I remember correctly each diagram represents a term in an expansion of the S-matrix), i.e. they are not only used to illustrate various processes; the extra "loops" etc seen in more complicated diagrams do actually have a specfic meaning.

so what in reality "goes back in time" or does it just mathematicly go back in time? becuase on wiki i looked up feynman diagram and saw the word "go back in time" and assumed something is going back in time.

f95toli said:

As I understand it, the extra loops are allowing for possibilities such as events relating to virtual particles? I seem to remember reading that to accurately determine the probability of a particular process you'd have to draw infinitely many Feynman diagrams, but that the correction associated with each diagram grew smaller and smaller as the number of vertices increased ...

I think that most particle theorists would say that anti-particles actually go back in time- they do, after all, work on the assumption that their maths describes reality! Obviously, as we can't go back in time, you could never "see" an anti-particle going backwards in time; its creation and annhiliation would always be stored in our memories the same way every other kind of event we see is.
There's a separate thread for particle physics: perhaps if an admin moved this you might find people more knowledgeable about the subject there?

muppet said:
As I understand it, the extra loops are allowing for possibilities such as events relating to virtual particles? I seem to remember reading that to accurately determine the probability of a particular process you'd have to draw infinitely many Feynman diagrams, but that the correction associated with each diagram grew smaller and smaller as the number of vertices increased ...

I think that most particle theorists would say that anti-particles actually go back in time- they do, after all, work on the assumption that their maths describes reality! Obviously, as we can't go back in time, you could never "see" an anti-particle going backwards in time; its creation and annhiliation would always be stored in our memories the same way every other kind of event we see is.
There's a separate thread for particle physics: perhaps if an admin moved this you might find people more knowledgeable about the subject there?

i don't think it right becuase causality violation's would occur.

When you do the expansion (1+x)n, you get the binomial coefficients, which have a combinatorial meaning - so you could actually draw corresponding "binomial diagrams". In this case, doing the algebra is usually easier than drawing the diagrams.

Feynman diagrams are just another series expansion, whose coefficients likewise have a combinatorial meaning (combinations of spacetime interactions). In this case, it happens that it's easier to draw the diagrams before doing the algebra.

Last edited:
Understand that these diagrams are essentially a mneumonic for physicists. Each line represents a mathematical term, each vertex or wiggly line another term and so forth. They're a pictorial way of putting together a mathematical expression in a comprehensive way.

For any physical process there are infinitely many feynman diagrams that contribute to the actual physical result, but for calculational purposes its useful to only keep say the first few diagrams (b/c typically, but not always, the subsequent diagrams tend to be suppressed or small relative ot the first few).

1. What are Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are graphical representations that are used in theoretical physics to visualize and calculate the interactions between subatomic particles. They were developed by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1940s and have become an important tool in understanding quantum field theory.

2. How do Feynman diagrams demonstrate time reversibility?

Feynman diagrams are composed of arrows representing the direction of time. In these diagrams, the direction of time can be reversed, meaning that the same physical process can occur in both forward and backward time. This demonstrates the concept of time reversibility in quantum mechanics.

3. Why is the concept of time reversibility important in physics?

Time reversibility is important in physics because it shows that the fundamental laws of physics are symmetric with respect to time. This means that the same physical processes can occur regardless of whether time is moving forward or backward.

4. How do Feynman diagrams explain the conservation of energy and momentum?

Feynman diagrams show the interactions between particles as lines connecting the different particles. These lines represent the exchange of energy and momentum between the particles, and the total energy and momentum before and after the interaction must be equal, thus demonstrating the conservation of energy and momentum.

5. Can Feynman diagrams be used to visualize all quantum processes?

No, Feynman diagrams are primarily used to visualize and calculate the interactions between elementary particles, such as electrons and quarks. They are not suitable for visualizing more complex quantum processes, such as those involving many particles or gravitational interactions.