Determining the distribution of voltages in a given rectangular grid

In summary, Kirchhoff's Law can be used to solve for the voltage in an n by m grid, and MATLAB can be used to generate code to solve simultaneous KCL equations.
blandonfrank

Homework Statement

Hi,
I need to calculate the voltage drop in an n by m grid. There are resistors 4 resistors connected to a square; R1 for horizontals and R2 for verticals. There's a voltage applied at point B and point A is grounded.

11-12-20084-34-05PM.jpg

I need to create a MATLAB function that will solve for the voltage and display it in a matrix.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff Law
V= IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I1R1 - I2R2 - I3R1 + I1R2 =0 (That's the equation for one of the squares), using this logic to solve for one, I can solve for all. But, how can I automate it for a n x m grid?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the voltages at B and A, so you need to write the (m X n - 2) simultaneous KCL equations to solve for the voltages at those other nodes. The good news is that you have MATLAB to solve the simultaneous equations (set it up as a matrix equation?). The bad new is I don't know MATLAB, and am not sure what kind of scripting capability you have in it.

Is your question more about whether to use the KCL equations, or do you already know that is the way to go, but are looking for a way to generate general code in MATLAB where you put in different n and m values to see how the voltage maps of the nodes change?

berkeman,

Thanks for the response.

I know that KCL would be the way to go to solve this problem. My question is more of how I can do it on MATLAB, I have a bunch of currents I and to solve for voltage, I would have to know those currents to see how the voltage maps out.

Once I solve for the voltage, I need to print out the solution as a matrix.

1. What is the purpose of determining the distribution of voltages in a rectangular grid?

The purpose of determining the distribution of voltages in a rectangular grid is to understand how electricity flows through a circuit and to identify potential areas of high or low voltage, which can help in troubleshooting and maintenance of the system.

2. How is the distribution of voltages in a rectangular grid determined?

The distribution of voltages in a rectangular grid is determined by using mathematical equations and techniques, such as Ohm's law and Kirchoff's laws, to analyze the circuit and calculate the voltage at each point in the grid.

3. What factors can affect the distribution of voltages in a rectangular grid?

Several factors can affect the distribution of voltages in a rectangular grid, including the resistance of the circuit components, the amount of current flowing through the circuit, and the type of power source being used.

4. How does the distribution of voltages impact the performance of a circuit?

The distribution of voltages can significantly impact the performance of a circuit. If there are areas of high voltage, it can cause damage to components and potentially lead to malfunctions. On the other hand, a lack of voltage can result in the circuit not functioning properly.

5. Can the distribution of voltages in a rectangular grid be altered or controlled?

Yes, the distribution of voltages in a rectangular grid can be altered or controlled by adjusting the circuit components, such as resistors and capacitors, or by using voltage regulators or transformers to regulate the voltage levels.