Copper tubes in air conditioners quick questionsneed ur help ly

In summary, the conversation is about copper tubes used in air conditioners and their function and properties. The speaker is seeking help with their research assignment and has questions about the function of the tubes, the reason for choosing copper as the material, and the addition of phosphorus or silver. They also inquire about the use of brass in air conditioners and the possibility of a test for the corrosive property of alloys or elements.
KAS90
Copper tubes in air conditioners...quick questions..need ur help urgently..

hey there..
I have an assignment where I have to choose a material and research about..
anyway, I chose to talk about copper tubes in air conditioners..My question is..
what is the function of this tube?
What is the most distinctive characteristic/property that makes manufacturers choose copper to be used in the manufacturing of these tubes?
Finally, I read that an amount of phosphorus(P) or silver(Ag) is added to the copper.. Why is phosphorus/silver added to the copper?
I appreciate ur help coz by answering these questions I'll understand so many things, and ill be able to finish my assignment..
Need ur help! please..!
Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

hey again..
no 1 has ne idea?
I came 2 know that brass is used in the air conditioners..but what is the tube or fitting the aircondiotioner used 4? what's it's function?
and is there a kind of test that tests the corrosive property of an alloy or element?
I really neeeed ur help..pllllz..
just 4 these 2 questions..4get about the one above!
thanx again in advance..

Hey there! It's great that you chose to research about copper tubes in air conditioners for your assignment. Copper tubes play a crucial role in the functioning of air conditioners. They are responsible for transferring the refrigerant, which is a cooling agent, from the compressor to the evaporator and then to the condenser. This transfer of refrigerant is what helps in the cooling process of an air conditioner.

The main reason why manufacturers choose copper to be used in the manufacturing of these tubes is because of its excellent thermal conductivity. Copper is a highly efficient conductor of heat, which makes it ideal for transferring the refrigerant and maintaining the desired temperature inside the air conditioner. Its malleability and corrosion resistance also make it a popular choice for use in air conditioners.

As for the addition of phosphorus or silver to copper, it is done to improve the strength and durability of the tubes. These elements act as strengthening agents and help prevent the tubes from becoming too soft or brittle, which could lead to leaks or breakage. This ensures that the tubes can withstand the high pressures and temperatures involved in the functioning of an air conditioner.

I hope this answers your questions and helps you with your assignment. Good luck!

1. What are copper tubes in air conditioners used for?

Copper tubes in air conditioners are used to circulate refrigerant throughout the system. The refrigerant absorbs heat from the indoor air and carries it to the outdoor unit where it is released, resulting in cooler air being circulated back into the room.

2. Why are copper tubes the preferred material for air conditioner tubing?

Copper is the preferred material for air conditioner tubing because it is highly conductive, meaning it can transfer heat quickly and efficiently. It is also durable, corrosion-resistant, and easily manufactured into different shapes and sizes.

3. How do copper tubes impact the overall efficiency of an air conditioning unit?

Copper tubes play a crucial role in the efficiency of an air conditioning unit. Their high thermal conductivity allows for faster heat transfer, resulting in quicker cooling of the indoor air. This, in turn, reduces the workload on the air conditioner and leads to energy savings.

4. Can copper tubes in air conditioners be repaired if damaged?

In most cases, copper tubes in air conditioners can be repaired if they are damaged. However, it is important to hire a professional technician to assess the damage and perform any necessary repairs. Attempting to repair copper tubes without proper training and equipment can result in further damage to the unit.

5. How long do copper tubes in air conditioners typically last?

Copper tubes in air conditioners can last for several decades with proper maintenance and care. However, their lifespan can be affected by factors such as corrosion, wear and tear, and exposure to extreme temperatures. Regular maintenance and prompt repairs can help prolong the lifespan of copper tubes in air conditioners.