Bound and Free Charge in conductor and dielectric

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of bound and free charge in electrodynamics, specifically in conductors and dielectrics. Free charges are able to move freely in response to external forces, while bound charges are restricted to small movements around molecules or atoms. The conversation also mentions the equal magnitude of bound charges on the outer and inner surfaces of an insulator and the use of Gauss's law for D to understand this concept.
FourierX
I am reading an electrodynamics book to grasp the concept of bound and free charge, esp in conductor and dielectric. I got lost with the text on the book. Can anyone please help me understand the concept well?

Physics news on Phys.org
I bet some people here could help... what specific questions do you have?

Likes gracy
A free charge can move in response to an externally supplied force while a bound charge cannot.

Likes gracy
Free charges are free to move about the entire medium, while bound charges are restricted to moving in small 'loops' around whichever molecule/ atom they are bound to.

gabbagabbahey said:
Free charges are free to move about the entire medium, while bound charges are restricted to moving in small 'loops' around whichever molecule/ atom they are bound to.

For a bit more detail, click free charge for the PF Library item :smile:

thanks

in case of a wire carrying a certain amount of charge, say Q, which is insulated by a insulator (dielectric), I read that the bound charge on the outer surface and inner surface of the insulator is equal to each other in magnitude. But I could not derive it myself. My approach was to use Guass's law for D, but i did not get what enclosed free charge was. In such a case, how does the equation [tex]\rho[/tex] = [tex]\rho[/tex]b + [tex]\rho[/tex]f hold true?

1. What is the difference between bound and free charge in a conductor?

Bound charge in a conductor refers to the electrons that are tightly bound to the atoms of the material and cannot move freely. Free charge, on the other hand, refers to the electrons that are able to move freely within the material. In a conductor, the outermost electrons are free to move, while the inner electrons are bound.

2. How does the presence of bound charge affect the behavior of a conductor?

The presence of bound charge in a conductor creates an electric field, which in turn affects the movement of free charge within the material. This is what allows for the flow of electricity in conductors. The amount of bound charge present in a conductor can also affect its conductivity and resistance.

3. What is the role of free charge in a dielectric material?

In a dielectric material, free charge is responsible for creating an electric polarization in response to an external electric field. This polarization is what allows dielectrics to store and release energy, making them useful in capacitors and other electronic devices.

4. How does the presence of bound charge differ in conductors and dielectrics?

In conductors, bound charge is primarily found on the surface of the material, while in dielectrics it is distributed throughout the material. This is because in conductors, the free charges can easily move to the surface, leaving bound charges behind. In dielectrics, the bound charges are more evenly distributed due to the lack of free charge movement.

5. Can bound charge be created or destroyed in a material?

Bound charge cannot be created or destroyed in a material, as it is a natural property of the material's atoms. However, it can be redistributed or displaced within the material in response to changes in the electric field or the movement of free charges. This is how conductors and dielectrics behave differently in the presence of an electric field.