Why is my wireless router signal so weak even though it's close by?

In summary, the problem is with the wireless router and the wireless card in the laptop. The signal strenght is very poor.
aychamo
Hey guys

I seem to be having a problem with my wireless router. I'm using a LinkSys Wireless Router-G. This is not the brand new one with the speedbooster.

I have my router in the room RIGHT next to me. I am literally 15 feet away from my router, and it is sitting on top of a piano. There is a single wall between us, and the door to the room is always open. And yet I can not get a great signal with my router. I get three out of four bars, and it can say low or good quality signal. Instead of 54mps it may say 36 or so. Why would it be so low when the router is still so close to me?

Thank you;)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hey guys. This problem is persisting. I'm getting 2 or 3 bars out of four (in WinXP, the icon in the system tray). It occasionally goes up to the full four bars. I haven't run NetStumbler or anything to get a real accurate reception reading though. I'll get between Good - Very Good - and Excellent reception strenght readings. ... From 15 feet away from my Router though (one wall between us, and this is just in an apartment complex with thin-ass walls (wood and sheetrock).

My very beautiful and patient girlfriend (who is trying to make me get off this forum right now) has a Blitzz Wireless-B PCMCIA card in her laptop, and she gets perfect, full strength signal. Our laptops sit right next to each other (although mine may be a foot closer to the router), and she gets full strength and I get between 50% and 100%. What gives?

This leads me to believe that the problem may be in my wireless card, instead of the router itself. The thing is, this is a Dell Inspiron 8600 with Centrino. But this is a 802.11g card. Isn't Centrino just 802.11b? I think I have a MiniPCI b/g card installed. Could this card be the problem? I don't even see a place on my laptop that could be an antenna or anything. Do the MiniPCI or Centrino or whatever tend to have poor signal strength?

If this is the problem, I'd consider purchasing a PCMCIA 802.11g card. Thank you;)

AYCHAMO

I just went to dell's website and they said the centrino is 802.11b. If you want the full capacity of 802.11g then your going to need to get another card.

If you're only fifteen feet away, and your patient girlfriend doesn't need to use the connection at the same time as you, why not just run a wire?

I am 802.11g. I have the upgraded network card in this laptop. It's the Minicard or whatever, that is built into the laptop. It is 802.11g. Before I moved my router (previously it was directly in sight of me) I connect perfect at 54Mbps. I can still get my 54 connection usually, but the signal strenght is very poor, compared to my girlfriends laptop with a 802.11b PCMCIA card. I'm not running any wires :)

Is your outside internet connection even remotely close to 54 Mbps? If not, don't freaking worry about it.

- Warren

Sigh, I think you people hate me. I wish that no one would post unless they had an answer. There have been three posts in here by you guys and nothing has been beneficial at all.

I do worry about network speed because I have a network here. I use my LAN for purposes other than internet.

Try swapping network cards with your gf, if possible, and see what happens.

If you can't swap cards, just swap laptops with her. She won't notice.

- Warren

1. Why is my wireless router not connecting to the internet?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, make sure that your router is properly connected to your modem. If it is, then check your internet connection and make sure it is working. If both of these are functioning properly, then try restarting your router. If the problem persists, there may be a technical issue with your router and you may need to contact your internet service provider.

2. How do I change the password on my wireless router?

To change the password on your wireless router, you will need to access the router's settings page. This can usually be done by typing in the router's IP address into your web browser. Once you have accessed the settings page, look for the option to change the password. Make sure to choose a strong and unique password to ensure the security of your network.

3. My wireless connection is slow, how can I improve it?

If your wireless connection is slow, there are a few things you can try to improve it. First, try moving your router to a central location in your home or office, away from any obstructions. You can also try changing the channel on your router, as there may be interference from other devices. Another option is to upgrade to a newer, more powerful router.

4. How do I reset my wireless router?

To reset your wireless router, look for a small reset button on the back or bottom of the router. Use a paperclip or pen to press and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds. This will reset the router to its factory settings. Keep in mind that this will also reset any custom settings, so you will need to reconfigure your network.

5. Can I use a wireless router with a wired internet connection?

Yes, most wireless routers have the option to connect to a wired internet source, such as a modem or Ethernet port. This can be useful if you have a wired connection available and want to set up a wireless network in your home or office. Simply connect the router to the wired source using an Ethernet cable, and then set up the wireless network using the router's settings page.