What is the Word for Using Pre-Existing Research in a Paper?

• Thread starter Tanner65
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about trying to remember a specific word that means "the use of pre-existing research in a research paper". The person remembered using it in their psychology major, but couldn't recall the word. After some discussion and suggestions, the word "meta study" was suggested as a possible answer.
Tanner65
WTF is the word...

I've been racking my brain for a few days trying to think of the word that means "the use of pre-existing research in a research paper". I've attempted to Google and interrogated a few different teachers but they can't seem to get away from either "theory" or "anecdotal".

I know it's similar to anecdotal but it's not unreliable as the conclusions being drawn from analyzing the research. Whereas in anecdotal research, the conclusions are drawn from the combining of dissimilar conclusions into one conclusion to benefit the paper.

If it helps, I remember using the word when I was a psychology major over 5 years ago. I wish I could remember what the word is.. please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Meta study?

...also known as http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Meta+study" [Broken]...

Last edited by a moderator:

lisab said:
Meta study?

...also known as http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Meta+study" [Broken]...

Thanks! I can't believe my awesome Google searching skills failed me... I must be getting rusty. :blushing:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of "Literature Review"?

A literature review is a critical analysis and evaluation of existing research and scholarly articles on a particular topic. It involves identifying, analyzing, and synthesizing relevant information to provide a comprehensive understanding of the current state of knowledge on a subject.

2. What is the purpose of a literature review in a research paper?

The purpose of a literature review is to provide a foundation for the research being conducted by demonstrating the current knowledge and gaps in the existing literature. It also helps to justify the significance of the research and provides a context for the research question being addressed.

3. How is a literature review different from other sections of a research paper?

Unlike other sections of a research paper, such as the methodology or results, a literature review does not present original research findings. Instead, it focuses on summarizing and analyzing existing research to establish the current knowledge on a topic. Additionally, a literature review also provides a critical evaluation of the existing literature, rather than just presenting it as a list of sources.

4. What are the steps involved in conducting a literature review?

The steps involved in conducting a literature review include: identifying the research question or topic, searching for relevant literature using various sources, critically evaluating and analyzing the literature, organizing the information in a logical and coherent manner, and synthesizing the information to draw conclusions and identify gaps in the existing literature.

5. How can I ensure that my literature review is effective and comprehensive?

To ensure that your literature review is effective and comprehensive, it is important to use a variety of sources, including academic journals, books, and reputable websites. It is also essential to critically evaluate the sources and consider their relevance, credibility, and biases. Additionally, organizing the information in a logical and coherent manner and synthesizing the information to draw meaningful conclusions will make your literature review more effective and comprehensive.