Importance of prestigious undergraduate degree for graduate degree.

In summary, it seems that there is no real advantage to going to a prestigious undergraduate college, and the name on the diploma doesn't necessarily mean much when it comes to getting into a good graduate school.
brianfast
Hi - I am currently a high school junior so I basically have this summer to figure out where I am going to apply. I am thinking about computer engineering as a major. How much of a factor is going to "name brand" college going to be for getting into a "good" graduate school?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would also be interested to hear any opinions on this? :O

Would, for example, doing an MS at Oxford be considered better than one at Warwick or Leeds or a similar university?

brianfast said:
Hi - I am currently a high school junior so I basically have this summer to figure out where I am going to apply. I am thinking about computer engineering as a major. How much of a factor is going to "name brand" college going to be for getting into a "good" graduate school?

Thanks for your time.
Not at all. If physics is any indication, the top grad schools (well, all grad schools I suppose) accept graduates of a wide variety of colleges.

If you're good enough (at whatever you want to do) to go to a prestigious undergraduate college and stand out there, that's great. But you're probably not (if you are, you've already racked up a long list of regional/national/international awards ;-), and in that case it might be better - purely for purposes of building up a résumé and getting the experience you'll need to get into a good graduate school - to get your undergraduate degree somewhere slightly less prestigious, where the competition is less intense and where your talents and accomplishments can be recognized. On the other hand, going to a prestigious university as an undergraduate can be a great "life experience" as they say; if you're the type who takes academics seriously, it's great to have a huge pool of other smart people to talk to. So I guess, like anything else, it's a tradeoff. Just rest assured that there are a lot more important factors involved in getting into graduate school than where you got your undergrad degree.

Last edited:
I've never been convinced there is much advantage to a "prestigious" degree - especially in programs like physics and engineering where the core cirricula are well-established across the board. Things that I would look for as an undergraduate would be:
- quality in teaching
- research opportunities
- opportunities to study special topics of interest
- extra-cirricular groups
- up-to-date facilities
- scholarships and financial burden
- social environment

It can help. I went to Harvey Mudd as an undergrad, which is a well-respected in math/science/engineering. I got into wayy better programs than I should have given my mediocre undergrad gpa. The admissions director at one of the programs I applied to did a phone interview, and the first thing he said was "So you're from Harvey Mudd? We _LOVE_ Harvey Mudd students." I met with a prof at another program who literally said "since you're from Harvey Mudd, the first year [graduate] courses here should be pretty easy for you". He recommended I try to test out of them. This is all without really knowing me at all.

It doesn't seem very fair or logical to me, but that's what happened. I imagine people from places like Caltech or Reed would receive similar treatment.

Now that said, graduate school prospects are a terrible reason to choose one undergraduate program over another.

maze said:
It can help. I went to Harvey Mudd as an undergrad, which is a well-respected in math/science/engineering. I got into wayy better programs than I should have given my mediocre undergrad gpa. The admissions director at one of the programs I applied to did a phone interview, and the first thing he said was "So you're from Harvey Mudd? We _LOVE_ Harvey Mudd students." I met with a prof at another program who literally said "since you're from Harvey Mudd, the first year [graduate] courses here should be pretty easy for you". He recommended I try to test out of them. This is all without really knowing me at all.

It doesn't seem very fair or logical to me, but that's what happened. I imagine people from places like Caltech or Reed would receive similar treatment.
Yeah, you'd think so, but I had almost the opposite experience - I went to Princeton as an undergrad (which I think is also well respected in math/science) and I feel like the name on the degree hasn't done a bit of good for me. Nobody seems to love Princeton students :-( I got the impression that graduate schools (at least, the ones I applied to) were looking for a track record of accomplishments, and I had nothing to offer in that area - it's difficult to build up a reputation at a place like Princeton, unless you're the absolute best of the best (I'm not), because the proverbial bar is set so high. That's why I wrote what I did in my previous post.

I guess it depends on which grad schools you're applying to, though.

Ok - in my state the only school that offers Computer Engineering is a US News and World Report tier 4 school (Portland State). There are some big financial advantages to going there... I would probably get a deans scholarship etc and I could commute to this school. Also I can get many/all of the first year cs, physics and calculus etc courses taken care of while in high school.

However, I am very concerned that going to a tier 4 school will have negative consequences h; I don't think I will get into Cal Tech but other top 10 US News and World Report computer engineering programs like Michigan, Purdue, Georgia Tech etc... are legit possibilities...

Yet It would mean taking on major student loans... So the 100k question is: "is it worth going out of state?"

Wait, there are actually numbered tiers? I always thought "tier 1" was just a subjective thing...

Anyway, on point: I would say definitely yes, at this stage of your life it is worth at least looking at out of state schools. Remember, you have almost an entire year before you actually need to decide where to go to college. And besides, the in-state/out-of-state distinction is pretty artificial; for one thing, wherever you live, there are almost certainly out-of-state schools that are closer to you than some in-state schools; for another thing, part of the "college experience" is moving away from home and learning to live (semi-)independently. Plus, it's quite possible that you can get better significantly better financial aid from an out-of-state private college (just to take the example I know, Princeton gives financial aid completely in the form of grants, so I never once had to take out a loan... I think someone told me once that Caltech does the same, but I'm not sure).

The point is, there's no reason not to at least look into out-of-state schools; the only thing it costs you is the application fee. You can always apply to Portland State as well, to keep your options open until the last minute.

Lurking Graduate of one of the Big Name "Institute of Technology"s schools and I could verify similar experiences to diazona. The name of your school does not matter anymore than perhaps some negligible amount.

@diazona and john-2:
Interesting... This is not what I would have expected given my own experiences.

diazona said:
Wait, there are actually numbered tiers? I always thought "tier 1" was just a subjective thing...

US News classifies universities into tiers. So I suppose you could say that it's their subjective classification.

I would say that you should consider the atmosphere and the kind of people that go to universities as well. Generally, universities with better reputations have more students applying - thus more competition, and that means that such universities can afford to pick the best students. Coming to the end of my physics degree just now, I would say that it makes a big difference (to me anyway) the kind of people you're working with (that is, the other students) having lots of people with drive and a good work ethic inspires me to work, and learn the material better (the more this happens, the better you will understand physics by the end!) but this is not the case for everyone.

What is the significance of having a prestigious undergraduate degree when pursuing a graduate degree?

Having a prestigious undergraduate degree can greatly enhance your chances of being accepted into a top graduate program. Admissions committees often consider the reputation and quality of the undergraduate institution when evaluating applicants.

Will a prestigious undergraduate degree guarantee acceptance into a top graduate program?

No, while a prestigious undergraduate degree can certainly improve your chances of acceptance, it is not a guarantee. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as your grades, test scores, and letters of recommendation.

How can a prestigious undergraduate degree benefit me in my future career?

A prestigious undergraduate degree can provide you with a strong foundation of knowledge and skills that can be applied to your future career. It can also open doors to networking and job opportunities.

Is it worth the cost to attend a prestigious undergraduate institution?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and financial situation. While a prestigious undergraduate degree can provide many benefits, it is important to consider the cost and weigh it against potential future benefits.

Are there any disadvantages to attending a prestigious undergraduate institution?

Some potential disadvantages of attending a prestigious undergraduate institution include a more competitive and rigorous academic environment, higher tuition costs, and a potentially elitist culture. It is important to carefully consider these factors before making a decision.