Can a Longboard Skateboard Be Turned Into a Musical Instrument Using Pipes?

In summary, Dan is trying to create a skateboard that functions like a flute, but he is having trouble getting it to hum. He is trying different ideas to see if he can find a way to make it work, but he is open to any advice that anyone might have.
wiznas
I am an artist not a physicist, I do very much interactive art though, and as I am a bit geeky, I really love to get some physics tricks involved somehow. People get excited when there are little gizmos going and its just great!

So this project that I am working on has me stumped...I want to create a longboard skateboard deck out of pipes, that would function very much like flutes. As the air passes through, it hums, and the pitch changes depending on where you stand (probably by having a series of holes down the pipe).

Now I have made a few simple whistles and flute-like things, but I am starting to think that's barking up the wrong tree. I can't get them to hum while riding with them; my theory is because they rely on the wind going through such a small area that it gets all turbulent and its easier for the air to just pass over it. I tried making a simply scoop (or a funnel thing) but that didnt help. Butttt...when I was longboarding to my studio with some pieces of pvc, I could deffinately here one of them humming, so I am pretty sure this is possible. Any wisdom would be so much appreciated!

Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
wiznas said:
I am an artist not a physicist, I do very much interactive art though, and as I am a bit geeky, I really love to get some physics tricks involved somehow. People get excited when there are little gizmos going and its just great!

So this project that I am working on has me stumped...I want to create a longboard skateboard deck out of pipes, that would function very much like flutes. As the air passes through, it hums, and the pitch changes depending on where you stand (probably by having a series of holes down the pipe).

Now I have made a few simple whistles and flute-like things, but I am starting to think that's barking up the wrong tree. I can't get them to hum while riding with them; my theory is because they rely on the wind going through such a small area that it gets all turbulent and its easier for the air to just pass over it. I tried making a simply scoop (or a funnel thing) but that didnt help. Butttt...when I was longboarding to my studio with some pieces of pvc, I could deffinately here one of them humming, so I am pretty sure this is possible. Any wisdom would be so much appreciated!

Dan

Welcome to the PF!

Turn the pipes sideways (so they go side-to-side, not along the long axis of the board).

Can I still have holes on the top to change the pitch?

I don't know enough about the physics of musical instruments to know the answer, but worst case, you could put buttons on top of the board that you could step on to close off the sideways tubes at different lengths. That definitely would change their pitches. Experiment some, eh?

What is the purpose of the Wind Pipe/Longboard Project?

The purpose of the Wind Pipe/Longboard Project is to develop a new type of longboard that utilizes wind energy to generate speed and movement, instead of relying solely on the rider's physical power.

How does the Wind Pipe/Longboard work?

The longboard is equipped with a wind turbine in the front that captures and harnesses the force of the wind. This energy is then converted into mechanical energy, which propels the longboard forward.

What makes the Wind Pipe/Longboard different from other longboards?

The Wind Pipe/Longboard is unique in that it utilizes wind energy, making it more environmentally friendly and requiring less physical exertion from the rider. It also allows for faster speeds and longer distances to be covered compared to traditional longboards.

What challenges have you faced in developing the Wind Pipe/Longboard?

One of the main challenges we have faced is finding the right balance between the size and weight of the wind turbine and the longboard itself. We also had to overcome technical challenges in integrating the wind turbine into the design of the longboard.

What are the potential benefits of the Wind Pipe/Longboard?

The Wind Pipe/Longboard has the potential to be a more sustainable and efficient mode of transportation, especially for short distances. It also provides a unique and fun way for people to stay active and enjoy the outdoors.