Gain in inverting and noninverting opamps

• Thread starter uzair_ha91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gain
In summary: PF rulesIn summary, the virtual short, virtual open, and virtual ground concepts are crucial principles to understand in order to derive currents and voltages in op-amp circuits. These concepts are explained in detail in reference books such as Thomas Floyd's "Electronic Devices" and Adel Sedra's "Microelectronic Circuits."
uzair_ha91
Can you explain the yellow highlighted portions (the derivation part)? How do we get to know which voltages to subtract? Is there also a good link which provides a good explanation of negative feedback mechanism?
Correction: (V2 in fig 18.28 is actually Vin)

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7360/new1ed.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/5502/new2ob.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
uzair_ha91 said:
Can you explain the yellow highlighted portions (the derivation part)? How do we get to know which voltages to subtract? Is there also a good link which provides a good explanation of negative feedback mechanism?
Correction: (V2 in fig 18.28 is actually Vin)

Not sure I understand the question. It's a Differential amplifier. What voltages do you think should be subtracted?

Do you understand the virtual short and virtual open principles of op-amps? The currents and voltages are easy to derive once you understand those two principles.

- Warren

berkeman said:
Not sure I understand the question. It's a Differential amplifier. What voltages do you think should be subtracted?

I'm talking about the calculation of currents through resistors in op amp (inverting and non-inverting) which is given in the images I posted. I need help in those (highlighted part),, how did the author do it?

chroot said:
Do you understand the virtual short and virtual open principles of op-amps? The currents and voltages are easy to derive once you understand those two principles.

- Warren

Nope.

An ideal op-amp behaves as a "virtual short," because it attempts to force its inputs to have equal voltage on them.

In your Figure 18.28, for example, one of the inputs is tied directly to ground, or zero volts. The other input will then be driven to the same voltage. Since resistor R1 has Vin on one side and ground on the other, the current through it is Vin/R1.

- Warren

chroot said:
An ideal op-amp behaves as a "virtual short," because it attempts to force its inputs to have equal voltage on them.

In your Figure 18.28, for example, one of the inputs is tied directly to ground, or zero volts. The other input will then be driven to the same voltage. Since resistor R1 has Vin on one side and ground on the other, the current through it is Vin/R1.

- Warren

Exactly, but why confuse the reader by writing Vin-V-/R1 and then equalizing it to Vin/R1? Why the subtraction? And similarly for I2 and the currents in the 2nd figure of noninverting amplifier..
Are we trying to find net voltage or something?

Bob S said:
Redbelly98's illustration in post #2 is an excellent example of a voltage follower with gain.
The equations are:

1) Vout = A(V+ - V-) [ where opamp gain A is arbitrarily large]
2) Vin = V+
3) V- = R1*Vout/(R1 + R2)
4) Vout/A = Vin - R1*Vout/(R1+R2)
5) Vin = Vout(1/A + R1/(R1+R2))
Let A ==> infinity
6) Vout = [(R1+R2)/R1]*Vin

Bob S

I don't understand how you got that value for V- in the 3rd step.

uzair_ha91 said:
Exactly, but why confuse the reader by writing Vin-V-/R? Why the subtraction?

They're not confusing the reader. They're being explicit, which is usually the opposite of confusing.

To find the current through a resistor, you take the difference in voltage across it, and divide that by the resistance. To find a difference, you use subtraction.

- Warren

okaaay...well that was quite simple...I guess all the new stuff is interfering with my old concepts
Thanks!

From Bob S
Redbelly98's illustration in post #2 is an excellent example of a voltage follower with gain.
The equations are:

1) Vout = A(V+ - V-) [ where opamp gain A is arbitrarily large]
2) Vin = V+
3) V- = R1*Vout/(R1 + R2)
4) Vout/A = Vin - R1*Vout/(R1+R2)
5) Vin = Vout(1/A + R1/(R1+R2))
Let A ==> infinity
6) Vout = [(R1+R2)/R1]*Vin

uzair_ha91 said:
I don't understand how you got that value for V- in the 3rd step.
The equation relating Vout and V- in line 3 is just a voltage divider circuit, since the ideal negative opamp input has infinite impedance and has no input bias current.
Bob S

Dear uzair ha91
The virtual short, virtual open and virtual ground concepts are explained well in the following two reference books (these concepts are explained in the chapter devoted for opamp) :

1) Thomas Floyd, Electronic Devices [Exellent book for those who like practical work]

2) Adel Sedra, Microelectronic Circuits [A universal reference book for Electronic and Microelectronic]

You can download these books together with lots of other books from:

Admin: link deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between gain in inverting and noninverting opamps?

In inverting opamps, the input signal is applied to the inverting input terminal, while in noninverting opamps, the input signal is applied to the noninverting input terminal. This results in different gain equations for each type of opamp.

2. How is gain calculated in inverting and noninverting opamps?

The gain in an inverting opamp is calculated by dividing the feedback resistor value by the input resistor value. In noninverting opamps, the gain is calculated by dividing the sum of the two resistors by the input resistor.

3. Which type of opamp has a higher gain, inverting or noninverting?

In general, inverting opamps have a higher gain compared to noninverting opamps. This is because the input resistor in inverting opamps is connected directly to the inverting input terminal, while in noninverting opamps, the input resistor is connected to ground.

4. Can the gain of an opamp be adjusted?

Yes, the gain of an opamp can be adjusted by changing the values of the feedback and input resistors. In inverting opamps, increasing the feedback resistor value will increase the gain, while decreasing it will decrease the gain. In noninverting opamps, increasing the sum of the two resistors will increase the gain, while decreasing it will decrease the gain.

5. What are some common applications of inverting and noninverting opamps?

Inverting opamps are commonly used in applications where high gain and precise amplification are required, such as in audio amplifiers, filters, and instrumentation circuits. Noninverting opamps are often used in applications that require lower gain, such as voltage followers, buffer circuits, and voltage regulators.