Rotation in R2, around a line?

In summary, we are looking for the points fixed by the isometry $f: \mathbb R^2 \to \mathbb R^2$ given by $f(x) = Ax$, where $A = \begin{pmatrix} \cos \theta & \sin \theta \\ \sin \theta & -\cos \theta \end{pmatrix}$ and $\theta \in [0,2\pi)$, and we have found that these points lie on the line $x_2 = n\pi$. This may seem strange at first, as we are used to thinking about rotations around a point in $\mathbb R^2$, but this is a rotation around an axis in $\mathbb R^
DDrew

Homework Statement

Find the points fixed by f, and show it is a line. We know that f is an isometry.

0 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] < 2[tex]\Pi[/tex]
f: R[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] R[tex]^{2}[/tex]
f(x) = Ax

A = | cos [tex]\theta[/tex] sin [tex]\theta[/tex] |
...| sin [tex]\theta[/tex] -cos [tex]\theta[/tex]|

Homework Equations

fix(f) = {x | f(x) = x}

The Attempt at a Solution

fix(f) = | (x1)(cos [tex]\theta[/tex]) + (x2)(sin [tex]\theta[/tex]) = x1 |
...| (x1)(sin [tex]\theta[/tex]) + (x2)(cos [tex]\theta[/tex]) = x2 |

The thing that confuses me the most is rotating about a line in R[tex]^{2}[/tex]. I was under the impression you could only rotate around a point? Is there something I'm missing? I'm not looking for the answer so much as I'm looking to be pointed in the right direction.

I apologize for my messy matrix formatting.

Physics news on Phys.org
A:Let's look at the first equation:$$(x_1)\cos \theta + (x_2)\sin \theta = x_1.$$We can solve it for $x_2$: $$x_2 = \frac{x_1- (x_1)\cos \theta}{\sin \theta}.$$So, in order for this equation to be satisfied for any value of $x_1$, the denominator must be zero, i.e. $\sin \theta=0$. But $$\sin \theta=0 \iff \theta = n\pi, n\in \mathbb Z.$$So, our isometry fixes the points on the line $$x_2 = n\pi.$$

1. What is rotation in R2?

Rotation in R2 refers to the movement of an object or shape around a fixed point on a 2-dimensional plane. This fixed point is known as the center of rotation.

2. How is rotation in R2 different from translation and reflection?

Rotation involves moving an object around a fixed point, whereas translation involves moving an object without changing its orientation, and reflection involves flipping an object across a line. Rotation also preserves the shape and size of the object, unlike reflection which can change the shape and size.

3. Can rotation in R2 be clockwise or counterclockwise?

Yes, rotation in R2 can be either clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on the direction in which the object is being rotated. In a counterclockwise rotation, the object moves in a left-to-right direction, while in a clockwise rotation, the object moves in a right-to-left direction.

4. What is the difference between rotation in R2 and rotation in R3?

Rotation in R2 occurs on a 2-dimensional plane, while rotation in R3 occurs on a 3-dimensional plane. This means that in R2, the object can only rotate around a line, while in R3, it can rotate around an axis.

5. How can rotation in R2 be described mathematically?

Rotation in R2 can be described using a rotation matrix, which is a 2x2 matrix that represents the transformation of points in the plane. This matrix allows for the calculation of the new coordinates of the object after rotation, based on the angle of rotation and the center of rotation.