3D Motion/Precession/Stability of a rolling coin

• Thread starter RollingCoin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Rolling
In summary, the conversation discusses questions and information related to a homework assignment due today. The person is struggling with some of the questions, particularly (c), (d), (f), and (g), which involve concepts of angular momentum, precession, and nutation. The equations for angular momentum, forced precession, and free precession are also mentioned. The person is seeking understanding for the homework questions and preparation for final exams.
RollingCoin

Homework Statement

See the attached picture for the questions and information. This is actually due today and I haven't gotten all the answers - but it would be good to know how to do everything for when final exams come around. I particularly find (c), (d), (f), and (g) the most difficult.

Homework Equations

[tex]\dot{\psi}[/tex] = Precession rate
[tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] = Nutation rate
[tex]p[/tex] = Spin

Angular momentum:
[tex]H_{x}=I_{x}\omega_{x}=I_{o}\dot{\theta}[/tex]
[tex]H_{y}=I_{y}\omega_{y}=I_{o}\dot{\psi}sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]H_{z}=I_{z}\omega_{z}=I\dot{\psi}cos\theta+p[/tex]

Forced Precession:
[tex]M_{x}=\dot{\psi}sin\theta[I(\dot{\psi}cos\theta+p)-I_{o}(\dot{\psi}cos\theta)][/tex]

Free Precession:
[tex]\dot{\psi}=\frac{Ip}{(I_{o}-I)cos\theta}[/tex]

Attachments

• yo.jpg
    yo.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 489
Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a Solution(a) The angular momentum vector is pointing in the same direction as the spin vector (z-axis).(b) When the precession and nutation rates are equal, the angular momentum vector is pointing in the x-axis.(c) I'm not sure how to do this one. (d) I'm also not sure how to do this one. (e) Forced precession occurs when an external torque is applied to the particle. (f) The expression for forced precession is M_{x}=\dot{\psi}sin\theta[I(\dot{\psi}cos\theta+p)-I_{o}(\dot{\psi}cos\theta)].(g) The expression for free precession is \dot{\psi}=\frac{Ip}{(I_{o}-I)cos\theta}.

The Attempted Answers:

(a) The motion of the rolling coin can be described as a combination of precession and nutation. Precession is the circular motion of the axis of rotation, while nutation is the tilting of the axis of rotation.

(b) The stability of the rolling coin can be determined by the angular momentum of the coin. The coin will be most stable when its angular momentum is maximized, meaning that the axis of rotation is aligned with the direction of the angular momentum vector.

(c) To determine the precession rate, we can use the equation for forced precession, where M_{x} is the torque acting on the coin, I is the moment of inertia of the coin, I_{o} is the moment of inertia about the axis of rotation, and p is the spin of the coin. The torque acting on the coin can be calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the distance between the center of mass and the point of contact with the surface. The precession rate can then be calculated using the equation \dot{\psi}=\frac{M_{x}}{I_{o}\sin\theta}.

(d) To determine the nutation rate, we can use the equation for free precession, where \dot{\psi} is the precession rate, I is the moment of inertia of the coin, I_{o} is the moment of inertia about the axis of rotation, and p is the spin of the coin. The nutation rate can then be calculated using the equation \dot{\theta}=\frac{Ip}{(I_{o}-I)\cos\theta}.

(f) To determine the stability of the rolling coin, we can use the equation for angular momentum, where H_{x}, H_{y}, and H_{z} represent the components of the angular momentum vector. The stability of the coin will be maximized when the axis of rotation is aligned with the direction of the angular momentum vector, meaning that H_{x}=I_{o}\dot{\theta}, H_{y}=0, and H_{z}=p.

(g) The stability of the rolling coin can also be affected by the distribution of mass within the coin. A coin with a more uniform distribution of mass will be more stable compared to a coin with a concentrated mass towards one side. This is because a more uniform distribution of mass will result in a smaller torque acting on the coin, making it easier for the coin to maintain

1. What is 3D motion and how does it relate to a rolling coin?

3D motion refers to the movement of an object in three-dimensional space. In the case of a rolling coin, it involves the rotation of the coin around its axis as well as its translation through space. This motion is what allows the coin to maintain its stability while rolling.

2. What is precession and how does it affect a rolling coin?

Precession is the change in orientation of an object's axis of rotation. In the case of a rolling coin, precession occurs due to the uneven distribution of weight on the coin's surface. This causes the coin to wobble slightly as it rolls, but it also helps to maintain its stability.

3. What factors influence the stability of a rolling coin?

The stability of a rolling coin is influenced by several factors, including its shape, weight distribution, and surface texture. A coin with a more symmetrical shape and even weight distribution is likely to roll more smoothly and maintain its stability. A rough surface can also help to prevent the coin from slipping or sliding as it rolls.

4. Why does a rolling coin eventually come to a stop?

A rolling coin eventually comes to a stop due to friction. As the coin rolls, it comes into contact with the surface it is rolling on, and the friction between the two surfaces causes the coin to slow down and eventually stop. Other factors such as air resistance and imperfections on the surface can also contribute to the coin's eventual stop.

5. Can the stability of a rolling coin be affected by external forces?

Yes, the stability of a rolling coin can be affected by external forces such as wind or a change in the surface it is rolling on. These forces can disrupt the motion of the coin and cause it to wobble or even come to a stop. However, the coin's precession and overall design help to maintain its stability and prevent it from toppling over.