Calculating Change in Flux: A Challenge!

In summary, a conducting loop with a radius of 0.15m and resistance of 4 ohms is placed in a magnetic field of 0.25 T. When pulled on opposite sides, the loop is stretched until its enclosed area becomes essentially zero. It takes 0.30s for the loop to close. The change in flux is calculated using two different equations, with one resulting in a value of -0.0589 volts and the other in -0.0589 Wb. The correct equation to use is B(A_f - A_i) to find the change in flux which is independent of time.
jimbkob

Homework Statement

A flexible, circular conducting loop of radius 0.15m and resistance 4 ohms lies in a uniform magnetic field of .25 T. the loop is pulled on opposite sides by equal forces and stretched until its enclosed area is essentially zero m^2. it takes .30s to close the loop. what is the change in flux? :confused:

Homework Equations

I know this problem involves Faraday's law but I'm having trouble finding the answer. Can someone please help me?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
since there are no details on the change in area with respect to time (i.e. you don't know exactly how the area changes as it bends from the 2 forces) it seems like a simple estimate using final - initial

[tex]B\frac{A_F-A_i}{t_F-t_i}[/tex]

The change in flux doesn't depend on time. It's just the final BA minus the initial BA.

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm not say either of you guys are wrong but I tried both equations and I got two different answers.

The first equation got me .01767 but when i plug this into Faraday's equation I get -0.0589 volts

The second equation got me -0.0589 Wb.

Which one is correct?

jimbkob said:
Thanks for the quick response!

I'm not say either of you guys are wrong but I tried both equations and I got two different answers.

The first equation got me .01767 but when i plug this into Faraday's equation I get -0.0589 volts

The second equation got me -0.0589 Wb.

Which one is correct?

i accidentally told you how to find the change in flux with respect to time (I saw you mention faraday's law and it set me on that track)

If the problem is only asking for the change in flux, do what ideasrule said:
B(A_f - A_i)

sorry about setting you off on the wrong track.

haha no it's ok no big deal. Thanks again!

1. How do you calculate change in flux?

To calculate change in flux, you need to subtract the initial flux value from the final flux value. The formula for change in flux is (final flux - initial flux).

2. What is flux?

Flux is the flow of a physical quantity through a given surface or boundary. It represents the amount of a quantity passing through a surface per unit time.

3. Why is change in flux important?

Change in flux is important because it helps us understand how a physical quantity is changing over time. This can provide valuable information in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

4. What units are used to measure flux?

The units used to measure flux depend on the physical quantity being measured. For example, flux of electric charge is measured in coulombs per second, while flux of light is measured in watts per square meter.

5. Can change in flux be negative?

Yes, change in flux can be negative if the final flux is smaller than the initial flux. This indicates a decrease in the flow of the physical quantity through the surface. On the other hand, a positive change in flux indicates an increase in the flow of the physical quantity.