Using the time evolution operator

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2D Hilbert space with an orthonormal basis and a Hamiltonian represented by the Pauli matrix in the y-direction. The eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian are given by a specific formula and the time evolution operator is applied to these eigenvectors. The final line in the conversation is explained by the eigenvalues of the Pauli matrix, which allows for simplification of the expression.
ian2012
I hope someone can help me out here,

I am confused with a line of text I read - it is an example of a 2D Hilbert space with orthonormal basis e1, e2. The Hamiltonian of the system is the Pauli matrix in the y-direction. Given by the matrix:

[tex]\sigma_{y} = (\frac{0, -i}{i, 0})[/tex]

The eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian are given by:

[tex]| \pm >_{y}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(| e_{1} > \pm i|e_{2}>)[/tex]

So, applying the time evolution operator to the eigenvectors gives:

[tex]U| \pm >_{y}=exp(\frac{-i(t-t_{0}) \sigma_{y}}{\hbar})| \pm >_{y}[/tex]
[tex]U| \pm >_{y}=exp(\frac{\mp i(t-t_{0})}{\hbar})| \pm >_{y}[/tex]

I don't understand how the last line came about?

Physics news on Phys.org
The last line follows because the eigenvalues of [tex]\sigma_y[/tex] are +/- 1.

Oh right, of course, so it let's you simplify the expression.

1. What is the time evolution operator?

The time evolution operator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the change of a quantum state over time. It is a unitary operator that acts on the wave function of a system and determines how it evolves from one time to another.

2. How is the time evolution operator calculated?

The time evolution operator is calculated using the Hamiltonian operator, which is a mathematical representation of the energy of a quantum system. The time evolution operator is given by the exponential of the Hamiltonian operator multiplied by the imaginary unit i.

3. What is the significance of the time evolution operator in quantum mechanics?

The time evolution operator is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics as it allows us to predict the future state of a quantum system. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level and is essential in calculations involving quantum phenomena.

4. Can the time evolution operator be used to describe classical systems?

No, the time evolution operator is only applicable to quantum systems. Classical systems do not exhibit quantum behavior and can be described using classical mechanics equations.

5. How does the time evolution operator relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The time evolution operator is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The Schrödinger equation is used to calculate the time evolution operator for a given Hamiltonian operator.