Simple problem: logarithmic decrement

• Thread starter joriarty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
In summary, the conversation includes a discussion about an exam revision question involving a lightly damped harmonic oscillator with a frequency of 10 kHz and an amplitude that decays by 25% over 300 oscillations. The first part of the question involves calculating the logarithmic decrement, while the second part involves finding an expression for the amplitude as a function of time elapsed. The attempted solution involves using the formula for the logarithmic decrement and rearranging it to find the amplitude, but the discrepancy between the given solution and the expected result is discussed. It is confirmed that the formula in the course notes is incorrect.
joriarty

Homework Statement

Note this is exam revision rather than actual course work worth marks, so there is no need to be deliberately vague :)

The question comes in two parts, regarding a lightly damped harmonic oscillator with frequency 10 kHz and an amplitude that decays by 25% over 300 oscillations. First I am asked to calculate the logarithmic decrement, and then to make an expression that allows the amplitude to be calculated as a function of time elapsed.

Homework Equations

δ=(1/N)ln(A0/AN)

The Attempt at a Solution

The log decrement is 9.59x10-4. Easy. For the second part, simply rearranging the log decrement formula gives AN=A0e-Nδ. Knowing that N = 10,000*t, I get A(t)=A0e-9.59t.

What I do not understand is why my course notes give A(t)=e-9.59t. Why is this answer not multiplied by A0? Mathematically and physically, this does not make sense to me - the amplitude as a function of time definitely does depend on the initial amplitude! Am I right in thinking that is a mistake?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you're right. If nothing else, the units don't match, that tells you the formula in your notes can't be correct.

Ah good, thanks for confirming that!

What is logarithmic decrement?

Logarithmic decrement is a mathematical term that refers to the measure of decay in a logarithmic function. It is calculated as the natural logarithm of the ratio between the amplitude of two successive oscillations in a decaying system.

How is logarithmic decrement calculated?

Logarithmic decrement is calculated using the following formula:
ln(An/An+1)
where An and An+1 are the amplitudes of two successive oscillations.

What does a high logarithmic decrement value indicate?

A high logarithmic decrement value indicates a faster rate of decay in a system. This means that the amplitude of oscillations decreases quickly, and the system reaches equilibrium or stability faster.

How is logarithmic decrement used in real-world applications?

Logarithmic decrement is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biology to measure the degree of damping in a system. It is also used in signal processing to analyze the stability of a system and in financial modeling to predict fluctuations in stock prices.

What is the difference between logarithmic decrement and damping ratio?

Logarithmic decrement and damping ratio are two different measures of damping in a system. Logarithmic decrement is a measure of decay in a logarithmic function, while damping ratio is a measure of the ratio between the actual damping coefficient and the critical damping coefficient. In simple terms, logarithmic decrement measures the rate of decay, while damping ratio measures the level of damping in a system.