Cycads, athletic head injuries, and ALS

• Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential risks of neurotoxin ingestion from food, particularly for athletes with a history of head injuries. The individual in the conversation wonders if they should avoid certain foods, such as brown rice and meat from certain areas, and focuses on the potential dangers of solanine in food. They also mention the views of some nutritional practitioners who avoid eating processed plants.
mugaliens
I recently ran across a couple of comments to http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100817/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_head_injuries_als"

As an athlete who's had several head injuries over the years, but one who has never eaten cycads (that I know of), what might I expect? What should I do? Avoid brown rice? Continue to exercise my body and brain, eat right, stay healthy? Avoid meat from those areas (which I might add includes some of the S.A. meat eaten here in the US...)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I'd probably worry more about solanine if you're worried about neurotoxin ingestion from food, although even that isn't usually found in a very high concentration in anything unless you're eating diseased potatoes.

There are schools of nutritional practitioners that won't eat plants requiring processing for this basic reason. An animal's defense against predation is to run or fight. Plants can't do that, so they tend to develop means of harming whatever eats them.

1. What are cycads and why are they important?

Cycads are a group of ancient plants that have been around for over 300 million years. They are known for their unique appearance, with large, fern-like leaves and a thick trunk. Cycads are important for many reasons, including their role in plant evolution, their use as food and medicine by some cultures, and their ability to survive in harsh environments.

2. How do athletic head injuries impact the brain?

Athletic head injuries, such as concussions, can have a significant impact on the brain. These injuries can cause damage to brain cells, disrupt communication between neurons, and lead to inflammation and swelling. This can result in a range of symptoms, including headaches, dizziness, memory loss, and difficulty concentrating.

3. Is there a link between cycads and ALS?

There have been studies suggesting a possible link between cycads and ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Some researchers believe that a neurotoxin found in certain cycad seeds may contribute to the development of ALS in individuals who are genetically predisposed. However, more research is needed to fully understand this potential connection.

4. How does ALS affect the body?

ALS is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects the motor neurons in the brain and spinal cord. As the disease progresses, it can lead to muscle weakness, difficulty speaking and swallowing, and eventually paralysis. The exact cause of ALS is still unknown, and there is currently no cure.

5. Can athletic head injuries increase the risk of developing ALS?

There is currently no strong evidence to suggest that athletic head injuries increase the risk of developing ALS. However, some studies have found a correlation between a history of head injuries and an increased risk of developing the disease. More research is needed to fully understand this potential link.