Finding Instantaneous acceleration from a velocity-time graph

In summary, the conversation is about finding the instantaneous acceleration at t2 = 31 s on a given graph. The expert summarizer notes that the instantaneous acceleration is the slope of the tangent at that point and needs to be converted to (m/s^2). The conversation also includes a list of incorrect answers and a discussion about average acceleration during different time intervals. The expert ultimately concludes that the correct answer for the instantaneous acceleration at t2 = 31 s is 0, as it falls on a corner where the rate of change is not defined.
MitsuShai
Graph: http://s324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/?action=view&current=Capture.jpg
What is the instantaneous acceleration at t2 = 31 s?

I know that the instantaneous acceleration is the slope of the tangent of that point and yes I do know I have to convert it to (m/s^2). But I am still not getting the right answers. Here are a list of answers I imputed and they are all wrong:

on the first few, I forgot to convert. I used 58/31 the last time...

The question had parts to it, but I don't know if they are necessary to solve this problem...here it is anyways:
A) Compute the average acceleration during the time interval t = 0s to t = 10s. 1.7
B) Compute the average acceleration during the time interval t = 30s to t = 40s. -1.7
C) Compute the average acceleration during the time interval t = 10s to t = 30s. 0
What is the instantaneous acceleration at t1 = 29 s. 0
I already computed this and got them right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like its either going to be 0 or its going to be at that corner, where the rate of change is not going to be defined.

Whitishcube said:
It looks like its either going to be 0 or its going to be at that corner, where the rate of change is not going to be defined.

I put zero and it was wrong and I don't think undefined is an appropriate answer because 30 is exactly at that corner and it has an acceleration, which I used to solve part B with.

Graph: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/Capture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nevermind I got it now.

What is instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration is the rate of change of velocity at a specific moment in time. It is a measure of how quickly the velocity is changing at that exact moment.

How is instantaneous acceleration calculated from a velocity-time graph?

To find instantaneous acceleration from a velocity-time graph, you need to find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the graph. This can be calculated using the formula: instantaneous acceleration = change in velocity / change in time.

What units are used to measure instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) in the SI system. In other systems, it may be measured in feet per second squared (ft/s²) or centimeters per second squared (cm/s²).

How does instantaneous acceleration differ from average acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time, while average acceleration is the average rate of change of velocity over a period of time. Average acceleration takes into account the velocity at the beginning and end of the time interval, while instantaneous acceleration only considers the velocity at a single point in time.

What are some real-world examples of instantaneous acceleration?

Some examples of instantaneous acceleration in everyday life include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a roller coaster going over a loop, or a person jumping off a diving board. In each of these situations, the velocity is changing at a specific moment in time, resulting in instantaneous acceleration.