How do you find the matrix element using Dirac notation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding a matrix element using Dirac notation and the time evolution operator. The speaker is struggling with finding the proper way to express the eigenstates given in the problem. They are also unsure of how to approach the question as they are not familiar with Dirac notation and are not sure how to transform from the momentum basis to the position basis. The conversation also touches on the idea of using the Hamiltonian in the momentum basis to compute the matrix element and the use of the Fourier transform to convert to the position basis.
physics2004
I've been trying to solve some questions using dirac notation, and most seem to be pretty straight forward (once you set everything up) but i always seem to get stuck when i try to find the matrix element and i can't seem to find the proper way to express the eigenstates given...

so for example we got some practice problems where we have to find the matrix element <a|U(t,tb)|b>. A and B are just position eigenstates and U(t,tb) is just the time evolution operator just:exp((-i*H/h)*(t-tb))

H = Hamiltonian
h = H bar (i.e 1.05e-34)
tb= intial time
t = final timeI get that the time operator just shifts the parameter t from tb to t, but all the other ones I've done i was given all the eigenstates. For example, griffiths 3.23 where you atleast have a orthonormal basis to start with and then you just need to find the eigenvalues and vectors. But for this question we are expected to find the matrix element given abstract position eigenstates? not quite sure how to get started. Maybe iam just struggling with dirac notation in general as i just learned it not to long ago, but iam not quite sure how to approach the question.

Thanks any help would be appreciated, also there's a similar question but its with the displacement operator but i figure if i can get this one i should be able to try the other one too.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the Hamiltonian is that of a free particle, you can compute the matrix element of U in the momentum basis and then transform to the position basis.

The particle is confined to move in the x-direction and has a potential of zero
, V(x) = 0
heres how i did it but not quite sure if its right

just expand
e^{x}=\\sum_n x^n/n!

and use the hamiltonian operator to get the energy and use the delta function to normalize.

I think taking the matrix element of the time oeprator on a momentum basis then transforming to the position would be a little redundant and iam not quite sure how you would transform afterwards

If you found a Gaussian exponential of the distance [tex]x_a-x_b[/tex] then you probably did it correctly. If not, there's a reason why it's easier to compute the matrix element involving the Hamiltonian in the momentum basis.

You mean from tb to t ? and how would you compute the matrix element involving the momentum basis, as the time evolution operator contains no x terms.

physics2004 said:
You mean from tb to t ? and how would you compute the matrix element involving the momentum basis, as the time evolution operator contains no x terms.

The matrix element that you want to compute has the functional form (not quite a Gaussian)

[tex]\langle x'' | U(t,t_0) | x''\rangle \sim A \exp\left( i \alpha \frac{(x'-x'')^2}{t-t_0}\right).[/tex]

The position basis is the Fourier transform of the momentum basis. In the momentum basis, the matrix element is proportional to a delta function of the momenta. The Fourier transform involves two integrals, one of which is of a Gaussian function of a momentum.

1. What is the definition of the time evolution operator?

The time evolution operator is a mathematical representation of the change in a physical system over time. It is denoted by U(t), where t represents time, and is used to calculate the state of a system at a future time based on its initial state.

2. How is the time evolution operator related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the time evolution operator is a fundamental concept that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It is used to calculate the probability of a quantum system being in a particular state at a given time, and it plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum particles.

3. What are the key properties of the time evolution operator?

The time evolution operator has several key properties, including linearity, unitarity, and time-reversibility. Linearity means that the operator can be decomposed into smaller parts, while unitarity ensures that the total probability of the system remains constant. Time-reversibility means that the operator can be used to calculate the system's state in either forward or backward time.

4. How is the time evolution operator used in practical applications?

The time evolution operator is used in a variety of practical applications, including quantum computing, quantum information theory, and quantum mechanics simulations. It is also used in the calculation of transition probabilities in quantum systems and in the study of the dynamics of complex quantum systems.

5. What are the limitations of the time evolution operator?

The time evolution operator has some limitations, including the assumption that the system is in a pure state and that the Hamiltonian (the operator that represents the system's energy) is time-independent. Additionally, the time evolution operator does not account for external interactions or environmental factors that may affect the system's evolution over time.