Electric Field, Potential Between 3 Charged Electrodes

In summary, The conversation discusses a question about calculating E and V in a capacitor setup with two +-50 nC capacitors. The answer key provides a solution with values that don't match the given values, leading to a discussion about potential mistakes and alternate solutions. It is suggested that the answer key may have used millimeters instead of centimeters for the distance between the plates, and the conversation ends with a question about whether it makes sense to add values of sigma to find the electric field.
Bogus_Roads

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

The book also asks for E versus x.

Homework Equations

dV/dx=-E
E=sigma/epsilon0

The Attempt at a Solution

This question seemed fairly straightforward: I assumed it could be treated like two +-50 nC capacitors, each with d=1 cm. According to my calculations, (from x=2 cm to x=3 cm for example) E would be 1.4 x 10^7 V/m, and V would be -Es=-1.4 x 10^5 V. The answer key says that E=+- 1.4 x 10^8 V/m, and that V= 140,000 V... I can't figure out how they got E to be 10^8, and if so, what it could have been multiplied by to get 1.4 x 10^5.

I googled it and found someone give an alternate solution in which he/she calculated separate sigma for the three electrodes (50 nC=Q for the first, 100 nC=Q for the second), and then added them and divided by epsilon0 to get the electric field...I didn't know you could do this; is it still a capacitor then, if the charges are different on either plate..? In any case, this answer was still nothing near the book's, off by a factor of 10^5 or something.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the answer key values, if E = 1.4 x 108 V/m and the separation between plates is 1cm, then that would make the potential difference between plates 1.4 x 106 V, which doesn't match their given voltage value. So perhaps they've mucked up the order of magnitude on the field strength.

If you do treat an adjacent pair of plates as a capacitor, then the plate area is (2cm)2 and separation 1cm, giving a capacitance of 0.354 pF. With a charge of 50nc, that yields a voltage of 1.41 x 105V, which does match their given voltage.

Never mind!

Thanks gneill,

So 1.4 x 10^5 V would make 1.4 x 10^7 V/m correct?

Does it make sense to add values of sigma to find the electric field, as was done in the Cramster problem I found online?

Maybe they used millimeters instead of centimeters for the distance between the plates.

Bogus_Roads said:
Thanks gneill,

So 1.4 x 10^5 V would make 1.4 x 10^7 V/m correct?

That's what I'd get.

Does it make sense to add values of sigma to find the electric field, as was done in the Cramster problem I found online?

I couldn't say. I didn't look at it.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical property that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is an electric field created between 3 charged electrodes?

An electric field is created between 3 charged electrodes when there are 2 different charges placed on the outer electrodes and a neutral charge placed on the central electrode. This creates a potential difference between the outer electrodes, which generates an electric field between them.

3. What is the potential between 3 charged electrodes?

The potential between 3 charged electrodes is the amount of electrical energy required to move a unit of charge from one electrode to another. It is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge on the electrodes and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

4. How can the potential between 3 charged electrodes be calculated?

The potential between 3 charged electrodes can be calculated using the formula V = k(Q1-Q2)/d, where V is the potential, k is Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges on the outer electrodes, and d is the distance between them.

5. What factors affect the electric field and potential between 3 charged electrodes?

The electric field and potential between 3 charged electrodes are affected by the magnitude and distribution of charges on the electrodes, the distance between them, and any intervening materials or medium that may affect the strength of the electric field.