Calculating Mass of a Slug: Using Centigram Balance

In summary, the conversation is about finding the calculated mass of a slug by difference using a centigram balance. The speaker is unsure whether to divide or subtract the measurements and asks for clarification. The expert confirms that subtracting is the correct method and that the speaker has already done it correctly. The speaker then shares the full question and the expert reassures them that they have done everything correctly. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the expert for their help.
Partisan
I do online schooling or I'd just ask a teacher anywho I need to find the calculated mass of a slug by difference, I'm using centigram balance to calculate everything.
This is what I know so far:
Snug w/ beaker: 52.42g
Snug: 2.42
Beaker: 50g

I don't know if I should divide or subtract them.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your question. But calculating mass by difference will mean subtract. which it seems you have already done.

dacruick said:
I'm not sure I understand your question. But calculating mass by difference will mean subtract. which it seems you have already done.

That's what I'm thinking to but if its suppose to be the answer for a question the answer seems inadequate

what exactly are you trying to find? The weight of this "snug"?

Here's the whole question
Use the other centigram balance to determine the slug mass by difference:
Mass of beaker:_____
Mass of beaker and slug:______
Calculated mass of the slug by difference:_______

This is using a centigram balance

Last edited:
you've done everything right if that's the case. If you measure the mass of the beaker, and you measure the mass of the beaker and the slug you will have Slug + Beaker - Beaker = Slug

Alright thanks I understand it I guess I was thinking it'd be longer or more complex than what it was :) So I guess I needed to double check, thanks for your help.

no problem:)

1. What is a centigram balance?

A centigram balance is a type of weighing scale that measures mass in grams. It is more precise than a traditional scale, as it can measure up to 0.01 grams.

2. How do I use a centigram balance to calculate the mass of a slug?

To calculate the mass of a slug using a centigram balance, you will need to first place the slug on the balance and record its mass in grams. Next, you will need to convert the mass from grams to slugs by dividing by 32.174. This will give you the mass of the slug in slugs.

3. Why is it important to use a centigram balance to calculate the mass of a slug?

A centigram balance is important to use when calculating the mass of a slug because it is more precise than a traditional scale. Slugs are very small units of mass, so using a precise measuring tool is crucial for accurate results.

4. Can I use a different unit of measurement to calculate the mass of a slug?

Yes, you can use a different unit of measurement to calculate the mass of a slug. However, it is important to convert the unit to slugs for accurate results. This is because slugs are the standard unit of mass in the English system of measurement for objects in motion.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when calculating the mass of a slug using a centigram balance?

Yes, there are a few factors to consider when using a centigram balance to calculate the mass of a slug. These include ensuring the balance is calibrated correctly, avoiding any external forces that may affect the measurement (such as wind or vibrations), and recording the measurement accurately.