Question about thick walled cylinder

• Thread starter spree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the conversation discusses a ME design course homework problem involving a thick-walled open-ended cylinder subjected to internal pressure. The student is confused about the presence of shear stress in the cylinder, but through discussion and research, they come to understand that it is due to the presence of two principal stresses.
spree
Hi. I'm a third year ME student and I am confused about something. I've just started to take ME design course this semester and this is from my first hw. I solved everything but i don't know about the shear stress. since there is no torsion I want to say there is no shear stress but i doubt that if it was the case why would the teacher ask about it detailed like this. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

''A thick walled open ended cylinder is made of steel ( E = 200 GPa) has an inside diameter of 80 mm and an outside diameter of 100 mm. The cylinder is subjected to an internal pressure of 20 MPa. Determine the stress components sigma(r), sigma(t) sigma(l) and the maximum shearing stress at the inner and outer surfaces of the cylinder and at r = 45 mm.''

Physics news on Phys.org
spree: Because the cylinder is open ended, what does that tell you about sigma_L?

Can you compute the cylinder principal stresses? Let, e.g., sigma_x = sigma_t, and sigma_y = sigma_r. After you compute the principal stresses, put them in this order; sigma1 > sigma2 > sigma3. After that, look up the formula for maximum shear stress. You must post relevant equations yourself. See the homework template.

Hi,
Thank you so much for your answer.
Cylinder is open ended so sigma_L must be zero. no force in that direction. I have found sigma_r and sigma_t also. but in the lecture the teacher had not said anything about shear stress in thick walled cylinders that's why i got confused in the first place. So I've looked up the formula and found it. but still, I'm having hard time figuring out why there is shear stress even tho there's no torsion.

oh because there are two principle stresses? I think I got it now I was missing something basic.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your ME design homework. It's great to see that you are already thinking critically about the problem and questioning the presence of shear stress. I can assure you that shear stress is indeed a factor in this problem and it is important to consider it in your solution.

Even though there is no torsion present in this problem, shear stress is still present due to the internal pressure acting on the cylinder. This pressure causes the material of the cylinder to deform and experience shear stress. It is important to consider shear stress in all situations where there is deformation of a material.

I recommend reviewing the equations and concepts related to shear stress in your course materials or consulting with your professor or classmates for further clarification. It is also important to always double check your work and ensure that all relevant factors are considered in your solution.

I hope this helps and good luck with your ME design course! Keep questioning and learning, it will only make you a better engineer.

1. What is a thick-walled cylinder?

A thick-walled cylinder is a type of cylindrical structure with a relatively large wall thickness compared to its radius. It is commonly used in engineering and construction as a means of containing internal pressure or resisting external forces.

2. What are the properties of a thick-walled cylinder?

The properties of a thick-walled cylinder include its internal and external radii, wall thickness, material strength, and ability to withstand internal and external pressure. These properties are important in determining the structural integrity and safety of the cylinder.

3. How is the stress and strain calculated in a thick-walled cylinder?

The stress and strain in a thick-walled cylinder can be calculated using various equations and principles of mechanics, such as the Lamé equations, Hoop stress formula, and Poisson's ratio. These calculations take into account the geometry, material properties, and applied loads on the cylinder.

4. What are some common applications of thick-walled cylinders?

Thick-walled cylinders have many applications in various industries, including hydraulic and pneumatic systems, pressure vessels, pipes and tubing, and structural components. They can also be found in everyday objects such as propane tanks, scuba tanks, and aerosol cans.

5. How can the strength of a thick-walled cylinder be improved?

The strength of a thick-walled cylinder can be improved by using stronger materials, increasing the wall thickness, or changing the geometry of the cylinder. Additionally, proper design and manufacturing techniques, such as stress relieving and weld quality, can also contribute to the strength and durability of the cylinder.