Which Major to Choose: Aerospace Engineering, Astrophysics, or Physics?

• Thread starter ASoto.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's struggle with choosing a major for college, specifically between aerospace engineering and astrophysics. The student's father suggests looking into job prospects, but the student also considers the long-term consequences and flexibility of each major. Another student suggests writing stories to explore their potential career paths and skills.
ASoto.
Im a hgh school student, I need help to define what should I go for. I was interested in aerospace engineering , but then I looked at astrophysics and I thought it would it. But now its time for filling applications and I am really scared.I don't know of I should go for a physics major, an aeropsace engineering or anything else. Besides my dad insists to check on jobs amd as o heard jobs in astrophysics are decreasing at Nasa and having a major in physics is not the best for a job, and an aerospace engineering degree is not the best but as an engineering major is more flexible. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the same problem. It is a horrible thing to choose knowing that there are big consequences in the future. I believe it is one of the things that every students struggle with.

I cannot tell you much about the areas you're considering. But I can tell you what I am doing at the moment.

I am writing small stories. Those stories include what my life would be like if I picked to do something. How it would constrain me? What would be the consequences of changing my career path? How much of the skills I will have will be transferable? Just go with the flow and ask yourself question. Be honest with yourself and you will find the answer.

Good luck,

1. What factors should I consider when making a decision?

There are many factors that can influence your decision, such as your personal values, available resources, potential consequences, and desired outcome. It is important to carefully weigh these factors before making a decision.

2. How do I know if I am making the right choice?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as what is considered the "right" choice can vary greatly depending on the situation. However, you can try to gather as much information as possible, consult with trusted individuals, and consider the potential outcomes to make the best decision for yourself.

3. Should I go with my gut feeling or think logically?

This ultimately depends on the situation and your personal decision-making style. In some cases, your intuition can be a valuable guide, while in others, a logical approach may be more effective. It may be helpful to consider both perspectives and find a balance between the two.

4. How can I avoid making a decision I will regret?

While it is impossible to guarantee that you will never regret a decision, there are steps you can take to minimize the likelihood of making a decision you will regret. These include carefully considering your options, seeking advice from others, and being mindful of your personal values and goals.

5. What if I make the wrong decision?

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes and that decision-making is a learning process. If you do make a decision that doesn't turn out as you had hoped, try to reflect on what went wrong and use that knowledge to make better decisions in the future. It is also helpful to have a plan in place for how to handle potential negative outcomes.