Two Objects Dropping: Do Weights Matter?

• Thread starter B-Con
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, if two objects have the same mass and air resistance, they will hit the ground at the same time. However, if one object has more mass, it will fall slower than the other.
B-Con
If I were to drop two objects with equal air resistance from a building, regardless of their differing weights, they would hit the ground at the same time.

However, since they both have different weights, they also will have different masses, and since gravitational attraction is based on mass, wouldn't the heavier one, because it possesses more mass, technically fall *slightly* faster? the difference in speed would be invisible to a human watching them fall, but wouldn't it technically fall faster?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, when you deal with energy, say you want to find the speed right before it hits the ground...

potential energy = kinetic energy
mgh = .5mv^2

Notce the mass cancels out

gh = .5v^2

v = sqrt(2gh)

Oh, I see. Now for attractive force the equation is

Force = GMm/D^2
and we know F = ma

so equate GMm/D^2 = ma

Notice the little m for mass cancels out. Just like the energy one. This explains it mathematically, but why disregarding mathematics...hmmmm

Ok, the math makes sense, but logically I don't get there... how could the falling objects mass not have an effect on the gravitational attraction?

ok, technially, both objects involved in the gravitational attraction (here it's the Earth and the falling ball) exert forces on each other, thus the Earth is also simotaniously being attracted to the falling object, the Earth's attraction to the ball will be minute, but nonetheless existant, thus the Earth's attraction will be greater towards the bigger ball and less toward the smaller ball, meaning that the heavier ball will technically fall at the same rate as the smaller one, but the Earth will be attracted to it more, meaning that it has "less" distance to travel before striking the Earth since the Earth moves some microscopic distance toward it... right?

Well, all objects that have mass have inertia, right? Inertia resists change in velocity. Now since gravity ofcourse is an acceleration, it is ?v/?t or dv/dt.

So it looks like a more massive object does infact feel a greater force, but resists change in dv/dt because it is more massive. A lesser object feels less force but is less hindered by inertia. It's like the inertial and gravitational forces cancel each other out.

This is the best explanation I can think of

B-Con said:
thus the Earth is also simotaniously being attracted to the falling object, the Earth's attraction to the ball will be minute, but nonetheless existant, thus the Earth's attraction will be greater towards the bigger ball and less toward the smaller ball, meaning that the heavier ball will technically fall at the same rate as the smaller one, but the Earth will be attracted to it more, meaning that it has "less" distance to travel before striking the Earth since the Earth moves some microscopic distance toward it... right?
Essentially correct, but for normal sized objects (balls and such--as opposed to moons) the acceleration of the Earth is ludicrously insignificant. Check this out: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=343562&postcount=16

relativitydude, I coincedentally read the same explanation in Stephen Hawking's "A brief history of time" book just an hour before, that makes sense...

thx Doc, that also helps, and that is truly an "amusing thought experiement"... ;)

B-Con said:
If I were to drop two objects with equal air resistance from a building, regardless of their differing weights, they would hit the ground at the same time.
This is not true; not even close. A pingpong ball and a lead sphere of the same size have, at the same falling speed, the same air resistance. Yet the lead weight will fall to the ground much faster than the pingpong ball.

krab said:
This is not true; not even close. A pingpong ball and a lead sphere of the same size have, at the same falling speed, the same air resistance. Yet the lead weight will fall to the ground much faster than the pingpong ball.
Good catch, krab. Only if gravity is the only force on the balls, will their accelerations be equal. This gedanken experiment requires a vacuum.

krab said:
true, I failed to specify in a vaccume, I kinda thought it was assumed... my bad ;)

1. Do heavier objects always fall faster than lighter objects?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its rate of falling. In a vacuum, all objects, regardless of weight, will fall at the same rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. However, in the presence of air resistance, heavier objects may fall slightly faster due to their greater momentum.

2. Why do objects with different weights hit the ground at the same time?

This is due to the acceleration of gravity. All objects, regardless of weight, are affected by the same gravitational force and therefore fall at the same rate. This is known as the principle of equivalence.

3. How does air resistance affect the falling of objects with different weights?

Air resistance can slow down the rate at which an object falls, but it affects lighter objects more than heavier objects. This is because heavier objects have greater momentum and can overcome air resistance more easily.

4. What factors can affect the rate at which objects with different weights fall?

Aside from air resistance, the shape and surface area of an object can also affect its rate of falling. Objects with a larger surface area will experience more air resistance, causing them to fall slower than objects with a smaller surface area.

5. Can two objects with different weights ever hit the ground at the same time?

Yes, in a vacuum, all objects will fall at the same rate regardless of weight. However, in the presence of air resistance, it is possible for two objects with different weights to hit the ground at the same time, depending on their shape and surface area.