A question regarding Y=B+S by a nuclear physics toddler

In summary, the quark content and baryon number for the hadrons are determined by the quark content and strangeness of the quarks, respectively.
rpndixit5
If Q=e[I+0.5Y] and Y=B+S. What is the Q/e and S value for ρ and k mesons, Ω and Δ baryons?
I means third component of isospin and Y,B,S,Q,e have usual meanings?

This is the question. I don't even know what these symbol means. Can someone please explain the symbols and solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
It was in my question paper that I had to solve.

Your question paper? <puzzled>
Is this a "question paper" that forms part of an education program of some kind which you are a student of?
... and you don't know what any of the symbols mean?

Please note: a bunch of letters and symbols written down are meaningless without the context.
The wikipedia link I gave you is my best guess based on the little information you have provided.
i.e. something to do with nuclear physics and isospin.
Have you had a look?

If you're taking a nuclear physics class, how can you not know the meaning of these symbols?

Well the problem is the teacher supposed to take this nuclear physics class is dead and we don't have a replacement. So...
Yes I had a look at your link Mr. Dauto. I also stumbled upon stuff like Baryon Octet and Baryon Decouplet and it helped me solve the problem

Last edited:
So you're taking a Nuclear physics class without a lecturer? :eek: How does that work? Who decides the grades?

If there is no teacher - who set the question? What are you using for course materials?
Who was the teacher supposed to be and which institution is this?
(The whole class will be in trouble and so will the school so I'd best spend my time assisting them.)

Likes 1 person
It is expected that the grades will be decided by Research Scholars.
Mr.Bridge I appreciate your offer but the problem is the exam of this Nuclear Physics Paper is on 20 May. Plus the syllabus is divided in two parts the teacher supposed to teach this Particle Physics section is unavailable. Other parts like Nuclear Models,Detectors,Alpha Beta and GammaDecays etc have been taught.

I like how nonchalantly you mention that your teacher is just dead. This is kind of comical, I think this is a troll post.

No matter, whether this is a troll post or not. I don't understand, what you have against this (admittedly not very well posed) problem. It's all correct.

Usually, in introductory HEP class, and nuclear physics without HEP is not on top of research nowadays, one starts with stating the conservation laws for charge-like quantum numbers. The deeper real understanding comes of course only when you treat it within relativistic QFT and the Standard Model of elementary particles, but that's not the point here. Here it's simply asked about the quantum numbers of some hadrons.

The formulae given are correct. When restricting yourself to the three lightest quarks (up, down, and strange), the relation the hypercharge is indeed given by
[tex]Y=B+S,[/tex]
where B is the baryon number and S the strangeness number. The hypercharge is conserved under strong interactions (but not under weak interactions). In terms of constituent-quark numbers of the naive parton model the baryon number is related to the "quark content" by B=(Number of quarks - Number of antiquarks)/3. E.g., a proton is made of 2 up and 1 down quark and no antiquarks, leading to B=1 for the proton.

I must be isospin (the usual naming is T_3, i.e., it's the three-component of isospin but that are conventions). The electric charge is then indeed given by Q/e=Y/2+I. E.g. the proton has isospin 1/2 and hypercharge 1, leading to a charge number of 1 as it must be (a neutron belonging to the same isospin dublett has isospin -1/2 and hypercharge 1 and thus Q=0 as it must be).

I don't know, how you are supposed to solve this exercise, i.e., what you are allowed to use. I'd suggest to look up the quark content of the particles and obtain the quantum numbers from it. You just need to know

u and d quarks build an isospin (isospin meant in relation to the strong interactions in the SU(3) constituent quark model aka the "eightold way") doublet with I=1/2 and I=-1/2, respectively. Both have strangeness S=0 and hypercharges Y=1/3. This leads to Q/e=(I+Y/2)=2/3 and -1/3, respectively, as it must be. Both have baryon number 1/3.

The s quark has isospin I=0 and strangeness S=-1 and hypercharge Y=-2/3. The charge is thus Q/e=-1/3 and baryon number B=1/3.

Why the quarks have these quantum numbers can only be understood from SU(3) group and representation theory. A good starting point is the Wikipedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_model

I assure you Ms. Maylis this is not a troll post. I am an Indian student enrolled in Banaras Hindu University,Varanasi. The reason I stated he is dead because he chose to attend some conferences instead of teaching his share. Thats it!

Oh, metaphorical "dead" as in "dead to us" ... no worries.
BHU is supposed to be good, so not replacing a lecturer seems uncharacteristic: you have my sympathy.

Anyway - I hope your question has been answered.

1. What is Y=B+S in nuclear physics?

Y=B+S is a formula used to describe the behavior of particles in a nuclear reaction. It represents the total yield of particles (Y) in a reaction, which is equal to the sum of the number of particles produced from breaking apart the target nucleus (B) and the number of particles produced from fusion with the projectile nucleus (S).

2. How is Y=B+S calculated?

To calculate Y=B+S, one must first determine the number of particles produced from breaking apart the target nucleus (B) and the number of particles produced from fusion with the projectile nucleus (S). These values are then added together to give the total yield of particles (Y).

3. What is the significance of Y=B+S in nuclear physics?

Y=B+S is an important formula in nuclear physics as it helps scientists understand the behavior of particles in a nuclear reaction. By calculating this value, researchers can gain insights into the dynamics of nuclear reactions and the properties of different particles involved.

4. How does Y=B+S relate to other formulas in nuclear physics?

Y=B+S is similar to other formulas used in nuclear physics, such as the Q-value equation and the binding energy formula. These equations all involve the calculation of specific values to describe the behavior of particles in a nuclear reaction and help researchers understand the underlying principles of nuclear physics.

5. Is Y=B+S applicable in all types of nuclear reactions?

Yes, Y=B+S can be applied to all types of nuclear reactions, including fission, fusion, and radioactive decay. However, the values for B and S may vary depending on the specific reaction being studied. This formula is a fundamental concept in nuclear physics and is widely used by scientists in their research and experiments.