Is There an AutoCAD Alternative?

• Thread starter mathwurkz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    autocad
In summary: The only drawback is that it does not have some of the more advanced features of the full version of progeCAD.
mathwurkz
Title says it all. I am wondering if there is any kind of freeware/shareware software that does the same thing AutoCAD does? I am taking an class and it is a level one course. The scope of the course only focuses on two dimensional drawings so the alternative doesn't have to be all that sophisticated in functionality.

Computer science news on Phys.org
There are really cheap CAD packages at your local Office Depot, Office Max, computer type stores. I can't believe that there isn't a student version in the university/college book store for next to nothing.

Qcad seems to fit the bill.

Progecad 2008

I am an experienced Cad user and I love http://www.progesoft.com/compra/index.asp?left=prodotti/eng_progecad2008smart&abspage=1&lang=eng"(smart). I worked with Autocad , UG Nx, Solid works, an inventor. All those programms are 5 to 20 times more expensive when you buy them for professional use.This program is a very priceworthy alternative to autocad 2008. And the best part: it's free for private use! No limitations. The program runs under windows vista as well. Progecad 2008 has all the features of autocad 2008... and more. Almost the same procedures and commands makes it very easy to get used to the program if you have used autocad before.

The only thing I don't really like is the autosnap function.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're taking a class, look at the student version of AutoCAD. It really depends on what you're looking for. Do you just want to produce 2D drawings or do you want a specific skill?

Most of the autocad alternatives are based on a dwg library called intelicad.
They give you the autocad command line and pretty much all the features of about autocad 2000.
There is generally one that is free for personal use, or some free limited demo.
Just look for the intellicad logo.

There used to be a free clone of Pro-eng called Pro-desktop, but it was bought out by Pro-eng a few years ago. There might be some copies on the net somewhere.

define "does the same thing as" .. There's always Google's Sketch-up, surprised that hasn't been mentioned.. http://sketchup.google.com/ and writeup http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SketchUp

Last edited by a moderator:
progeCAD 2009 is another good free alternative to AutoCAD LT. progeCAD 2009 is freeware version of progeCAD. This version is completely free for private home use. It can easily read and write .DWG files. If you have used AutoCAD LT, you will find it very intuitive to use progeCAD 2009. It comes with some advanced features like smart snap option, block-in-place editing, AutoCAD style plot interface, entity dependent content menu

1. What is AutoCAD and why would someone need an alternative?

AutoCAD is a computer-aided design (CAD) software that is used for creating 2D and 3D designs. Some people may need an alternative to AutoCAD because it can be expensive, and there are other software options that may better suit their specific needs or preferences.

2. What are some popular alternatives to AutoCAD?

Some popular alternatives to AutoCAD include SketchUp, SolidWorks, and DraftSight. These programs offer similar features and capabilities to AutoCAD, but may have different user interfaces and pricing options.

3. Can AutoCAD files be opened and edited in alternative software?

Yes, most alternative software options are able to open and edit AutoCAD files. However, there may be some minor compatibility issues with certain features or file formats.

4. Are there free alternatives to AutoCAD?

Yes, there are free alternatives to AutoCAD such as FreeCAD and LibreCAD. These programs may not have as many features as paid software, but they can still be useful for basic CAD needs.

5. Is it difficult to switch from AutoCAD to an alternative software?

It may take some time to get used to a new software interface and different features, but most alternative software options have similar tools and functions to AutoCAD. With practice and familiarity, the transition can be smooth and efficient.