Applying the fundamental theorem of calc to calc III, confused

In summary, Alex is trying to find the derivative of a function r with respect to x, but he is confused. He is told that he needs to use the fund. theorem of calculus to get the derivative. He is also told that x is the "real" variable and t is the "dummy" variable.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, i have the following problem I'm confused about! Can anyone guide me to what I'm suppose to do? I tried the following but it was wrong, he then told me I can just apply the theorem to |r'(u)| insteed of the stuff under the square root which would be more difficult. This is what i have, any ideas? Thanks!
http://show.imagehosting.us/show/762659/0/nouser_762/T0_-1_762659.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
Hello everyone, i have the following problem I'm confused about! Can anyone guide me to what I'm suppose to do? I tried the following but it was wrong, he then told me I can just apply the theorem to |r'(u)| insteed of the stuff under the square root which would be more difficult. This is what i have, any ideas? Thanks! http://show.imagehosting.us/show//0023a0u/0023a0u
The link is broken. Maybe try posting it again?

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry i fixed it, wow u got that message fast :)

You are thinking of s as [itex]\int_c^xf(t)\,dt[/itex] when in fact, it's not. What you need to do is apply the fund. theorem of calculus to this:

[tex]\frac{ds}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}\int_c^x\left|\mathbf{r}'(t)\right|\,dt[/tex]

Tell me if this answers your question :smile:

Alex

Last edited:
thanks for the responce alex, I'm confused how to apply this therom to that vector...
can i write...
|r'(x)| - |r'(c)| + c is that what he wants?

mr_coffee said:
thanks for the responce alex, I'm confused how to apply this therom to that vector...
can i write...
|r'(x)| - |r'(c)| + c is that what he wants?
Remember which variable you are differentiating with respect to. |r'(c)| and C are just constants, so those go to zero when you take the derivative. Now, what about the x? Well, if you look at the other part of the page that says g'(x)=f(x), you can apply that here. Since s is really s(x), you can treat it like g(x). The same goes for f(x) and |r'(x)|. Do you see what happens?

Alex

so since i was given r, does that mean all i have to do is take the derivative of r and that is the answer?

mr_coffee said:
so since i was given r, does that mean all i have to do is take the derivative of r and that is the answer?

Yes, and in the above post I mean to say d/dx not d/dt.

Alex

awesome thank you so much alex! so if r(t) = f(t)i + g(t)j + h(t)k;
then r'(t) = f'(t)i + g'(t)j + h'(t)k, and that should be it then?

mr_coffee said:
awesome thank you so much alex! so if r(t) = f(t)i + g(t)j + h(t)k;
then r'(t) = f'(t)i + g'(t)j + h'(t)k, and that should be it then?
Correct. Just note here that you are using x and not t in your final answer.

Alex

ohh good call, thanks again! :)

Alex, i had another question, why do you use x in the final answer if it wants ds/dt? and u also said, "and in the above post I mean to say d/dx not d/dt." The only time i see that, u do say d/dx, not d/dt. Thanks!

mr_coffee, Let's say you have

[tex] L = \int_{a}^{x} f(t) dt [/tex]

L will be a function of x

[tex] L = F(x) - F(a) [/tex]

so

[tex] \frac{dL}{dx} = \frac{dF(x)}{dx} [/tex]

now consider

[tex] L = \int_{a}^{b} f(t) dt [/tex]

L is a number

[tex] L = F(b) - F(a) [/tex]

so

[tex] \frac{dL}{dx} = 0 [/tex]

Basicly t in both cases is called the dummy variable, and x is the "real" variable, you're working with.

In your case is the time variable therefore

[tex] s(t) = \int_{a}^{t} |\vec{r}'(u)| du [/tex]

where u is the dummy variable so

[tex] \frac{ds(t)}{dt} = |\vec{r}'(t)| [/tex]

thanks for the explanation! So if u is the dummy variable, and x is the "real" should i make the answer this: ds/dx = |r(x)|; r(x) = f(x) i + g(x) j + h(x) k; r'(x) = f'(x) i + g'(x) j + h'(x) k?

t,x,u, etc.. are simply parameters of your curve C, given by your vectorial function r, it doesn't matter, but to be consistent with your book, i'd use t.

k thanks for all the help!

1. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a mathematical concept that states the relationship between differentiation and integration. It states that if a function f(x) is continuous on an interval [a, b], then the definite integral of f(x) from a to b can be evaluated by finding the antiderivative of f(x) and evaluating it at the endpoints.

2. How is the fundamental theorem of calculus applied in calculus III?

In calculus III, the fundamental theorem of calculus is used to evaluate definite integrals involving multiple variables. It allows for the use of techniques such as partial derivatives and line integrals to solve problems involving functions of several variables.

3. What is the difference between the fundamental theorem of calculus and the fundamental theorem of calculus for line integrals?

The fundamental theorem of calculus for line integrals is a generalization of the fundamental theorem of calculus specifically for line integrals in calculus III. It involves the evaluation of a line integral using the gradient of the function being integrated, rather than the antiderivative of the function.

4. How can I apply the fundamental theorem of calculus in real-world problems?

The fundamental theorem of calculus has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It can be used to solve problems involving rates of change, motion, and optimization.

5. What are some common mistakes when applying the fundamental theorem of calculus in calculus III?

Some common mistakes when applying the fundamental theorem of calculus in calculus III include forgetting to take into account multiple variables, using the incorrect limits of integration, and misinterpreting the gradient of the function being integrated. It is important to carefully set up the problem and double-check all steps in the solution to avoid these mistakes.