Why people need to define determinant ?

In summary, people need to define "determinant" because of its numerous applications, such as finding the inverse of a matrix, area/volume, cross product, and eigenvalues/eigenvectors. Its versatility and usefulness make it a crucial concept to understand in mathematics.
matness
why people need to define "determinant"?

why people need to define "determinant"? Of course there are many reasons
but what i want to know is the first one. -i.e- the origin of determinant

Physics news on Phys.org
matness said:
why people need to define "determinant"? Of course there are many reasons
but what i want to know is the first one. -i.e- the origin of determinant

There are oh so many applications of the determinant. I will list a few:
* Finding inverse of a matrix
* Finding area/volume
* Cross product
* Eigenvalues / eigenvectors
and so on...

You might find some of these topics related, but my point is; there's loads of things you can do using determinants!

1. Why is it important to define determinant?

The determinant is a crucial mathematical concept that helps us understand and solve many problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It provides information about the properties and behavior of a system, and can help us make predictions and decisions based on that information.

2. What is the definition of determinant?

The determinant of a square matrix is a numerical value that represents the scaling factor of the matrix. It is calculated by performing a series of mathematical operations on the elements of the matrix, and it can only be defined for square matrices.

3. How is determinant used in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, the determinant is used to determine if a system of linear equations has a unique solution, or if it has infinitely many solutions, or no solution at all. It is also used to calculate the inverse of a matrix and to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix.

4. Can determinant be negative?

Yes, the determinant can be a positive, negative, or zero value. A negative determinant indicates that the matrix has been reflected or flipped in some way, while a positive determinant means the matrix has been rotated or scaled.

5. Why do we need to define determinant differently for different dimensions?

The definition of determinant varies depending on the dimension of the matrix. For a 2x2 matrix, the determinant is simply the difference between the product of the elements on the main diagonal and the product of the elements on the other diagonal. For higher dimensions, the definition becomes more complex and involves finding the determinant of submatrices. This is necessary because the properties and behavior of matrices change as their dimensions increase.