Finding Absolute Extrema for a Rational Function with Imaginary Solutions

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
In summary, to find the absolute maximum and minimum of the function f(x)=\frac{x^2-4}{x^2+4} on the interval [-4,4], we first find the critical points by setting the derivative to zero. After simplification, we get 16x=0, which gives us a critical point at x=0. We then check the endpoints and the critical point to find the absolute maximum and minimum values. The imaginary solutions found in the process can be disregarded as they are not in the real interval.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

Find the absolute max/min of the function on it's interval.
[tex]f(x)=\frac{x^2-4}{x^2+4}[/tex]
Interval: [-4,4]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]f(x)=\frac{x^2-4}{x^2+4}[/tex]

I basically want to find all the critical points, so I set the denominator to zero and found a critical point to be where x = 2i, and x = -2i.

Then I took the derivative of the function as so:

[tex]f'(x) = \frac{2x(x^2+4)-2x(x^2-4)}{(x^2+4)^2}[/tex]

Setting the numerator to zero should find where the derivative is equal to zero, but that expands out to this:
[tex]2x^3+8x-2x^3+8x[/tex]
Which is basically zero anyway. I was going to try to factor out something from the numerator and denominator (if possible) to cancel it out so I could get something, but I thought I would lose solutions doing that. So here is where I am confused? I tried graphing it, thinking that it would just return the line y=0, but my TI-89 just says "not a function or program, error"?

edit: fixed

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint Hint: 2 negatives make a positive. Look at your expansion again :)

Ah yeah. Thanks! So the other critical point is 0 then.

Your algebra is faulty. The x terms don't cancel. And you probably don't care about imaginary solution in the denominator.

[tex]2x^3+8x-2x^3+8x=0[/tex]
from the numerator, works out to be:
[tex]16x=0[/tex]
x=0

I was not sure what to do with the imaginary solutions, essentially the only critical point found is at x=0 then I would imagine. Leaving me to check the endpoints and x=0 so find the absolutes correct?

QuarkCharmer said:
[tex]2x^3+8x-2x^3+8x=0[/tex]
from the numerator, works out to be:
[tex]16x=0[/tex]
x=0

I was not sure what to do with the imaginary solutions, essentially the only critical point found is at x=0 then I would imagine. Leaving me to check the endpoints and x=0 so find the absolutes correct?

Correct. The imaginary solutions are irrelevant. They aren't in the real interval [-4,4].

Alright, I think I got it now. This was the only one in the set of problems that had the possibility of an imaginary solution, and I really wasn't sure if that counted or not.

Thanks for the help.

1. What are maximums and minimums?

Maximums and minimums are the highest and lowest values in a set of data, respectively. They represent the peak or lowest point of a function or graph.

2. How are maximums and minimums calculated?

Maximums and minimums are typically calculated by finding the derivative of a function and setting it equal to zero. This will give you the x-value(s) of the maximums and minimums. Then, you can plug in those x-values into the original function to find the corresponding y-values.

3. What is the difference between local and global maximums/minimums?

A local maximum or minimum is the highest or lowest point in a specific interval of a function, while a global maximum or minimum is the highest or lowest point in the entire function. In other words, a global maximum or minimum is the overall highest or lowest point, while a local maximum or minimum is the highest or lowest point within a smaller portion of the function.

4. Can a function have more than one maximum or minimum?

Yes, a function can have multiple maximums and minimums. However, these points must occur at different x-values. For example, a function can have two local minimums, but they must occur at different x-values along the function's graph.

5. How are maximums and minimums used in real-life applications?

Maximums and minimums are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as optimization problems, economic analysis, and statistical analysis. They help us find the most efficient or optimal solution in a given situation.