What is the smallest amount of hydrogen needed for fusion

In summary, it is unlikely that fusion will take place through the proton-proton chain reaction, and even if it did, it would only last for a limited amount of time.
Dragonfall
What is the smallest amount of hydrogen needed so that fusion occurs automatically under its own gravity? How long would it last?

Not homework.

Physics news on Phys.org
For proton proton chain fusion to occur, you have to be in the ~.08 solar mass range. Below that, you can still fuse deuterium and be a brown dwarf down to the ~13 Jupiter mass range (or ~.013 solar mass range).

This something that the popular press never seem to consider. The 'endless supply' of fuel that's available for fusion, from the sea is actually in very low concentration (about 160ppm). Any fusion reactor that we could make would need to use deuterium rather than Hydrogen. We can't afford to wait for the p+p reactions to take place. It's another reason why the sea won't suddenly 'explode' as people fear.

I consider it more likely that the proton-boron reaction will produce the first commercially successful fusion reactor (see Polywell) and both elements are abundant and accessible.

Red dwarfs live for hundreds of billions to trillions of years because they burn very slowly. I'm not sure how fast brown dwarfs typically burn through their supply of deuterium.

dschlink said:
I consider it more likely that the proton-boron reaction will produce the first commercially successful fusion reactor (see Polywell) and both elements are abundant and accessible.
I don't know the statistics. Do we really have a lot of boring? I guess it could well be 'cheap' at any price.

sophiecentaur said:
I don't know the statistics. Do we really have a lot of boring? I guess it could well be 'cheap' at any price.

I can't find the reference, but I remember reading somewhere that the supplies of Boron in seawater was enough to fuel us for like a million + years or something. For Deuteium it was way more.

dschlink said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aneutronic_fusion

I hope you're kidding, I don't know of any way to produce temperatures of 600 keV (!) in any amount of material worthy of the word "temperature".

1. What is fusion?

Fusion is a nuclear reaction in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing energy in the process.

2. Why is hydrogen used for fusion reactions?

Hydrogen is the lightest element and has the simplest atomic structure, making it easier to fuse together in a nuclear reaction.

3. How much hydrogen is needed for fusion to occur?

The minimum amount of hydrogen needed for fusion to occur depends on several factors, such as temperature and pressure, but it generally requires a large number of hydrogen atoms to overcome the repulsive forces between them and fuse together.

4. What is the smallest amount of hydrogen needed for fusion?

The smallest amount of hydrogen needed for fusion to occur is known as the ignition threshold, and it varies depending on the conditions of the fusion reaction. In general, it is estimated to be around 10^28 hydrogen atoms.

5. Is it possible to achieve fusion with even smaller amounts of hydrogen?

Yes, it is possible to achieve fusion with smaller amounts of hydrogen by using extremely high temperatures and pressures, as is done in thermonuclear weapons. However, for practical and controlled fusion reactions, larger amounts of hydrogen are needed.