Photo Contest - The Sky Is The Limit (11/12 - 11/18)

In summary, "The Sky Is The Limit" photo contest celebrates and showcases the beauty of the sky through photography. Anyone can participate regardless of age, location, or skill level. Original photos related to the theme of the sky are required and explicit or offensive content is not allowed. Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, originality, and quality. Prizes may include cash, photography equipment, and publication/exhibition opportunities.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
{Administrative note: the rule on posting multiple photos in the contest thread has been made more explicit, and now includes a possible automatic disqualification for that contest}The Sky Is The Limit

Your photo this week must have, as it's main subject, our sky!

Good luck!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
sky.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9431/dsc1814.png

Last edited by a moderator:
m_the_sky_is.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/35lbwx5.jpg

Nothing but blue sky. I was trying to get the hawk in the upper right.:blushing:

Marzena is going to be hard to beat this time. I think chroot could give her a run for her money, though.

Hehehe thanks turbo... but the question is: should I enter one of the day-time sky, or the night-time sky?

- Warren

chroot said:
Hehehe thanks turbo... but the question is: should I enter one of the day-time sky, or the night-time sky?

- Warren
I think you know which one I'd prefer... The Andromeda shot is spectacular.

I guess I'm having trouble interpreting the topic -- is an astronomical object still considered part of 'the sky?' I suppose it is...

Well, alright, assuming astronomical objects are permitted, then here's my entry -- a photo of lovely Lady Andromeda.

6118111104_fe55022412_z.jpg

edit: sorry, the first one was too high-res for the contest.

Last edited:
Yay! That should qualify as "Sky".

I blew my best shot this morning. Since it's hunting season, I suit my dog and myself up in blaze orange before going anywhere. I loaded him into the truck with some extra water and a parcel that I had to return via UPS, and totally forgot my pocket camera and cell phone which were out and available. Just got distracted from my normal routine. I got about 5 miles from home and got a small break in the cloud-deck, which allowed a wonderful God's Eye to make rays in the moisture left from last night's rains. The clouds were still dark bluish-gray and angry-looking so the normally elusive rays (they show better to human eyes because of our eyes' dynamic range) should have been quite prominent. Grrr...

30ubzp0.jpg

I Must Go Down To The Sea Again by Spike Milligan

I must go down to the sea again,
To the lonely sea and the sky;
I left my shoes and socks there-
I wonder if they're dry?

(Forget this - it's just that there won't be another occasion.) :redface:

[PLAIN]http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4120/img2201u.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
sky.jpg

Just joining the fun. I know I have no chance at this contest. This photo has no focus, but it's my best sky photo. Sad, I know :(
089.jpg

I have to agree with turbo. Marzena's photo is hard to beat. But chroot, your photo is awesome! I wish we're allowed to vote for more than one :( It's so hard to decide my favorite.

Last day to submit a photo for this contest, if you dare!

Zz.

1. What is the purpose of the "The Sky Is The Limit" photo contest?

The purpose of this photo contest is to celebrate and showcase the beauty and wonder of the sky, and to encourage people to explore and appreciate the world around them through photography.

2. Can anyone participate in the photo contest?

Yes, anyone with a passion for photography and an interest in the sky can participate in the contest. There are no restrictions on age, location, or level of expertise.

3. Are there specific guidelines for the photos submitted to the contest?

Yes, all photos must be original and taken by the contestant. The photos must also be related to the theme of the sky and should not contain any explicit or offensive content.

4. How will the winners of the photo contest be selected?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on the creativity, originality, and overall quality of the photos submitted. The decision of the judges will be final.

5. What are the prizes for winning the photo contest?

The prizes for the photo contest may vary, but typically include cash prizes, photography equipment, and the opportunity to have the winning photo featured in a publication or exhibition.