Crackpot Forum: A Place for Amusing Theories and Discussions

• Thread starter 2112rush2112
  • Start date
In summary: Is that a pig flying over my house?... out. There are plenty of crackpot-friendly forums out there. Knock yourself out. And you don't even have to worry about IPs being banned.Boy, you Mods nixed this dude like so fast it made his head spin! :)Anyways. I think guys like Dr. Quantum and like-minded crackpots are hilarious. And I'm no fan of Rush Limbaugh (yuck), but decades back, he had a crackpot occasionally call on the show who came up with all kinds of crazy political conspiracy theories; this forum can use something like that here, because that crackpot that did call Limbaugh kinda lent an air of levity and hilarity to an otherwise serious talk
2112rush2112
I dunno. I think crackpots are amusing! :tongue: How about a forum where all the crackpottery can be moved?

Physics news on Phys.org
2112rush2112 said:
I dunno. I think crackpots are amusing! :tongue: How about a forum where all the crackpottery can be moved?
Not at PF!

Try Yahoo Answers.

lisab said:
Try Yahoo Answers.

:rofl:

Can one here create a blog on his crackpot ideas?

Snow-Leopard said:

Yes, people can make crackpot blogs here. But they are usually banned very quickly after making this blog.

micromass said:
Yes, people can make crackpot blogs here. But they are usually banned very quickly after making this blog.
oh that means, Physics Forums help you till PhD or after that if you be a Professor or Main Stream Science Researcher.

lisab said:
Try Yahoo Answers.
Or sciforums.

I never understood why people actually spend their time making crackpot ideas. I thought this was some sort of fringe thing in society, and then I came onto PF and crackpot ideas are a rampant threat here.

Snow-Leopard said:
Here is a Forum Beyond the Standard Model
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66
What is this? Which branch of Physics here discussed.

Besides the sticky thread that ZapperZ referenced, see also the one-line description on the main PF index page:

attachment.php?attachmentid=55031&stc=1&d=1359222609.jpg

Attachments

• btsm.jpg
    btsm.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 666
lisab said:
Try Yahoo Answers.
This is single-handedly the greatest post on this forum.

Why must we make a Cracked Pot forum? Shouldn't we also make Split Pot, Dented Pot, and Rusty Pot forums too? Then it would just get out of hand...forums for all kinds of broken cookware! Can you imagine the horror?!

Just one question: if you don't discuss any new idea what are you doing there? Just helping kids to do their homeworks?

Don Quijote said:
Just one question: if you don't discuss any new idea what are you doing there? Just helping kids to do their homeworks?

That's part of it, yes. Discussing mainstream science is another part.

Don Quijote said:
And banning crackpot sockpuppets like you.

Don Quijote said:

Learning and discussing real science - which does include new ideas. As long as it's been published in a reputable journal, it's fine. You can even discuss a completely new unpublished idea if you're careful, by asking questions around the edges of existing science.

What you can't do is talk nonsense, which is what crackpots do.

Don Quijote said:

Boy, you Mods nixed this dude like so fast it made his head spin! :)

Anyways. I think guys like Dr. Quantum and like-minded crackpots are hilarious. And I'm no fan of Rush Limbaugh (yuck), but decades back, he had a crackpot occasionally call on the show who came up with all kinds of crazy political conspiracy theories; this forum can use something like that here, because that crackpot that did call Limbaugh kinda lent an air of levity and hilarity to an otherwise serious talk show.
I'd listen to the program just hoping the person would call again so I (and the other listeners) would get a good laugh...

...lol crackpots...

2112rush2112 said:

Anyways. I think guys like Dr. Quantum and like-minded crackpots are hilarious. And I'm no fan of Rush Limbaugh (yuck), but decades back, he had a crackpot occasionally call on the show who came up with all kinds of crazy political conspiracy theories; this forum can use something like that here, because that crackpot that did call Limbaugh kinda lent an air of levity and hilarity to an otherwise serious talk show.
I'd listen to the program just hoping the person would call again so I (and the other listeners) would get a good laugh...

...lol crackpots...

Except that this isn't a radio program and having people post absolute nonsense is against everything PF stands for. Besides, it's a waste of time for the members and mods to try to work with these people. You don't think they are simply going to post in a forum named "Crackpots Post Here" do you? No, they are going to post on the main forums and cause an uproar. Banning them is the ONLY viable solution because they don't listen to reason and are obsessed with their own ideas.

Snow-Leopard said:

Heck, I can be the Moderator of the crackpot forum. My signature? "I shall continue to ban IP addresses until morale improves!"

2112rush2112 said:

...lol crackpots...

Y'know, there's nothing to prevent you from pursuing your "hobby". Just go to Usenet and SciForums and knock yourself out.

Zz.

I think the topic has been answered well enough. Requesting a lock so more people don't come in trying to defend crackpots or suggest we open a forum for them.

Done.

What is a Crackpot Forum?

A Crackpot Forum is an online platform or community where individuals can share and discuss unconventional or controversial scientific ideas, theories, or claims. These ideas are often considered to be outside the mainstream or lacking scientific evidence.

Why do people participate in Crackpot Forums?

Some people participate in Crackpot Forums out of curiosity or interest in alternative scientific ideas. Others may genuinely believe in the theories being discussed and want to share their thoughts with like-minded individuals. Some may also use the forum as a platform to challenge mainstream scientific beliefs.

Are all ideas discussed in Crackpot Forums considered valid or legitimate?

No, not all ideas discussed in Crackpot Forums are considered valid or legitimate by the scientific community. Many of these ideas lack evidence or contradict well-established scientific principles. It is important to approach these forums with a critical mindset and not accept everything as fact.

Can Crackpot Forums be harmful to scientific progress?

Crackpot Forums can potentially be harmful to scientific progress if they spread misinformation or discourage critical thinking and skepticism. However, they can also serve as a platform for new and unconventional ideas that may lead to innovative breakthroughs in science.

How can one differentiate between legitimate scientific ideas and crackpot theories?

Legitimate scientific ideas are based on empirical evidence and have been rigorously tested and peer-reviewed. They are widely accepted by the scientific community and are supported by reproducible experiments and data. Crackpot theories, on the other hand, often lack evidence and are not supported by mainstream scientific beliefs. They may also make claims that go against well-established scientific principles.