Windows 8.1 Display Settings for Multiple Monitors

• Thread starter pyzicslolito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    nvidia
In summary, the person is asking if they need to purchase a new monitor in order to use a third display on their Windows 8.1 computer. The expert explains that most standard video cards only support two active displays at a time, but many can support more if the computer has multiple monitor connections. They suggest checking the computer's specifications and provide a link for further assistance. They also clarify that the three items listed are not separate monitors, but rather a monitor and two graphics chips.
pyzicslolito
In my windows 8.1 control panel->display->screen resolution,I have 3 displays : lg analog, NVIDIA geforce 620 and Intel hd graphics. My monitor is LG22EA53. The other two are not connected yet. If I would like to use the third, do I need to purchase a new monitor ? Thank you a lot

Computer science news on Phys.org
Most standard video cards (on board and PCI) support only 2 active displays at a time. Before you go out and purchase a 3rd monitor, ensure that your video card supports more than 2 active monitors. If it does, then you can go buy yourself a 3rd and hook it up.

The three items you listed are not all separate monitors.
LG analog is your monitor
NVIDIA GeForce 620 is a graphics chip or add-in card
Intel hd graphics is an on-board graphics chip

Typically only one graphics chip (gpu for short) is used at a time, but many of them support multiple monitors. As an example, most laptops have a connection available for an external display and both the built in screen and external display can be active at once.

How many monitor connections does your computer have? If it has at least two you can probably connect two monitors. Many have one analog and one digital and it's not always possible to use multiple monitors.

This page from Microsoft might help: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

If you post exactly what computer you have we can probably give you more helpful information. According to NVIDIA's site both the GT 620 and the 620M (laptop version) support dual monitors.

1. How do I set up multiple monitors on Windows 8.1?

To set up multiple monitors on Windows 8.1, go to your desktop and right-click on an empty area. Select "Screen resolution" from the drop-down menu. In the new window, click on the "Detect" button to identify your attached monitors. Then, select the desired display option from the "Multiple displays" drop-down menu and click "Apply". Your additional monitor should now be set up.

2. How do I change the display settings for my multiple monitors?

To change the display settings for your multiple monitors, go to your desktop and right-click on an empty area. Select "Screen resolution" from the drop-down menu. In the new window, you can adjust the resolution, orientation, and other settings for each individual monitor. Once you are satisfied with your changes, click "Apply" to save them.

3. Can I extend my desktop to multiple monitors on Windows 8.1?

Yes, you can extend your desktop to multiple monitors on Windows 8.1. To do so, follow the steps for setting up multiple monitors (see question 1). Then, select the "Extend these displays" option from the "Multiple displays" drop-down menu. This will allow you to use your additional monitors as an extended desktop.

4. How do I change the primary monitor on Windows 8.1?

To change the primary monitor on Windows 8.1, go to your desktop and right-click on an empty area. Select "Screen resolution" from the drop-down menu. In the new window, click on the desired monitor and check the box next to "Make this my main display". Click "Apply" to save the changes.

5. Can I adjust the display settings for each individual monitor on Windows 8.1?

Yes, you can adjust the display settings for each individual monitor on Windows 8.1. Follow the steps for changing display settings (see question 2), and make sure the desired monitor is selected in the "Display" drop-down menu. You can then adjust the settings for that specific monitor, such as resolution and orientation.