Register to reply

Moving a mass through water

by Stevethesub
Tags: mass, moving, water
Share this thread:
Stevethesub
Apr17-14, 04:25 AM
P: 1
I am planning building a sub. I am tring to find the amount of energy it takes to move it.
I think it should be equal to the energy needed to move the same volume of water.

For example say the sub had the volume of 10,000 cubis feet.

1. Is my assumptin right?

2. what formulas are ther for this?

3. Is more energy needed at deeper depth? Why?

If You have Ideas post thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
New filter technology uses inert gas to bore holes in high-quality steel
PhysicoRaj
Apr17-14, 05:23 AM
PF Gold
P: 437
Welcome to PF.

1.) No. Consider a case where you move a ball through air. Does it take the same energy it takes to move the same volume of air? No! The same way, the work to be done depends on it's mass and how far you want to move it.Work. But the force applied depends on the friction of the medium. Since viscosity of water is more than that of air, more force is needed. The viscous drag increases with velocity so more the speed, more force to apply. Ultimately the increased force means increased work to be done.

2.) work done=force applied*distance travelled. And the force applied includes the force you need to overcome the viscous drag.Work

3.)You will also have to consider one more important factor, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy

And these might help you:Archimedes principle applied to subs

Principle of operation of sub
Chronos
Apr17-14, 05:48 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,447
Think of the case of an airplane. Aerodynamic principles must be taken into account to optimize design.

russ_watters
Apr17-14, 06:17 AM
Mentor
P: 22,298
Moving a mass through water

Homeade subs are extremely dangerous and a great way to die. Do you intend this to be flooded (and you wear scuba gear) or filled with air for you to breathe?
PhysicoRaj
Apr17-14, 06:45 AM
PF Gold
P: 437
Quote Quote by Stevethesub View Post
For example say the sub had the volume of 10,000 cubis feet
OMG I thought about somthn like this

Bobbywhy
Apr20-14, 02:32 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,909
See Physics Forums thread “Submarine Propulsion”. It contains forty-four separate posts and lots of information for your project.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=149604

Register to reply