What is the Formula for Calculating Heat Exchange in a Boiler Flue?

In summary, the conversation is about a heat exchanger for a boiler flue connected to two 150 HP boilers that are less than 80% efficient. The flue contains gas temps above 300 F and the CFM can be increased due to the oxygen and moisture content. The heat exchanger is made of 304 Stainless and has a surface area of 95 square feet. The desired temperature change is 10 F with a flow rate of 15 GPM, but the person is unsure how to calculate the necessary specifications. They are also considering increasing the pipe size to 2" and increasing the flow rate to 40 GPM.
Liljob
I have a heat exchanger for a boiler flue. The flue is connected to two big (150 HP) boilers. A boiler HP = 33,000 BTUH. The are less than 80% efficient.

The heat exchanger problem is this:

The Flue contains gas temps above 300 F. The CFM is problematic but apparently the actual CFM could be increased by a factor of 4 or more due to the oxygen and moisture content of the flue gases. In any case the ambient temp in the flue is a near 300 F when the boiler(s) are operating.

The heat exchanger is made of 304 Stainless. It's a 1" tube with 7 fins per inch and the fins are .5" high. The length of the tubing is 360" and it is configured in a coil 30" in diameter. There are 95 square feet of surface area on the heat exchanger due to the fins.

The design entering water into the tube is 80 F and leaving 90 F.

So I have a 300 F heat source (steady) and I want a 10 F dT with a flow rate of 15 GPM. ( I can't get much more flow into a 1" pipe.)

I want to pick up 250,000 BTUH from this configuration and I am not adept at the Q= U*A*LMTD calcs to put this together.

Further, if it makes sense to do so, I would like to increase the Pipe size to 2" and put 40 GPM through this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Thanks, Greg,

Let me revisit this and I'll get back to you.

1. What is the heat exchange formula?

The heat exchange formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the amount of heat transferred between two objects or substances.

2. How is the heat exchange formula derived?

The heat exchange formula is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between systems.

3. What are the variables in the heat exchange formula?

The variables in the heat exchange formula include the specific heat capacity of the substances, the mass of the substances, and the temperature difference between them.

4. Can the heat exchange formula be used for both heating and cooling processes?

Yes, the heat exchange formula can be used for both heating and cooling processes as it calculates the amount of heat transferred in either direction.

5. How accurate is the heat exchange formula?

The accuracy of the heat exchange formula depends on the accuracy of the input variables and the assumptions made in the calculation. It is important to use accurate and precise measurements for the most accurate results.