Register to reply

Heat Exchange Formula Needed

by Liljob
Tags: exchange, formula, heat
Share this thread:
Liljob
May1-14, 03:55 PM
P: 2
I have a heat exchanger for a boiler flue. The flue is connected to two big (150 HP) boilers. A boiler HP = 33,000 BTUH. The are less than 80% efficient.

The heat exchanger problem is this:

The Flue contains gas temps above 300 F. The CFM is problematic but apparently the actual CFM could be increased by a factor of 4 or more due to the oxygen and moisture content of the flue gases. In any case the ambient temp in the flue is a near 300 F when the boiler(s) are operating.

The heat exchanger is made of 304 Stainless. It's a 1" tube with 7 fins per inch and the fins are .5" high. The length of the tubing is 360" and it is configured in a coil 30" in diameter. There are 95 square feet of surface area on the heat exchanger due to the fins.

The design entering water into the tube is 80 F and leaving 90 F.

So I have a 300 F heat source (steady) and I want a 10 F dT with a flow rate of 15 GPM. ( I can't get much more flow into a 1" pipe.)

I want to pick up 250,000 BTUH from this configuration and I am not adept at the Q= U*A*LMTD calcs to put this together.

Further, if it makes sense to do so, I would like to increase the Pipe size to 2" and put 40 GPM through this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
New filter technology uses inert gas to bore holes in high-quality steel
Greg Bernhardt
May4-14, 10:17 PM
Admin
P: 9,562
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?
Liljob
May5-14, 09:21 AM
P: 2
Thanks, Greg,

Let me revisit this and I'll get back to you.

Register to reply