What Are Some Recommended Astronomy Books for Laypersons?

In summary, for layperson level materials on astronomy and astrophysics, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephan Hawking and "Introduction to Astronomy and Cosmology" by Ian Morison and Peter Schneider are recommended. Specific interests in general relativity, black holes, and the marriage of relativity with quantum mechanics can be explored in "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne. Additionally, browsing through coffee table books such as "Universe" by Robert Dinwiddie can spark interest and lead to further exploration of specific topics.
cjackson
I'd like to read some layperson level materials about astronomy and astrophysics, what do you recommend?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Are there any specific aspects of astronomy and astrophysics that interest you?

I've always been partial to "A Brief History of Time" by Stephan Hawking, because that was the book I read that made me interested in astronomy.

I've also enjoyed both are very basic level introductory that teaches the basic formulas

Introduction to Astronomy and Cosmology Ian Morison

Peter Schneider Extragalactic Astronomy and Cosmology

Matterwave said:
Are there any specific aspects of astronomy and astrophysics that interest you?

Stuff related to general relativity about the warping of spacetime, black holes, wormholes, quantum gravity that doesn't involve superstring or M theories, time dilation and relativistic space flight, etc.

I never fail to be enraptured by special and general relativity, their extremes, the attempted marriage of general relativity with quantum mechanics, and speculation about what might arise from relativity.

Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip Thorne.

CygnusX-1 said:
Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip Thorne.

this one gets my vote too.the way i got started myself though was in a Barnes & Noble. i stumbled across one of those large "picture & explanation box" coffee table astronomy books on the bargain rack, so i bought it...specifically, it was Universe by Robert Dinwiddie. it was the pictures and the intriguing (yet not very in depth) explanations that made me want to delve deeper into more specific topics regarding astronomy and physics, one of which was Thorne's Black Holes and Time Warps.

1. What are some good introductory astronomy books for beginners?

Some recommended introductory astronomy books for beginners include Astronomy: A Beginner's Guide to the Universe by Eric Chaisson and Steve McMillan, The Backyard Astronomer's Guide by Terence Dickinson and Alan Dyer, and Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

2. Are there any astronomy books that cover both the history and current developments in the field?

Yes, there are several books that cover both the history and current developments in astronomy, such as A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene, and The Universe in a Nutshell by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

3. What are some good astronomy books for kids?

Some recommended astronomy books for kids include There's No Place Like Space by Tish Rabe, The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System by Joanna Cole, and Night Sky: A Field Guide to the Constellations by Jonathan Poppele.

4. I am interested in astrophotography. Are there any books that can help me learn more about it?

Yes, there are many books that can help you learn more about astrophotography, such as The Astrophotography Manual by Chris Woodhouse, Astrophotography by Thierry Legault, and The Backyard Astronomer's Guide to Astrophotography by Michael A. Covington.

5. Are there any astronomy books that focus specifically on a certain topic, such as exoplanets or black holes?

Yes, there are many books that focus specifically on certain topics in astronomy. Some examples include Exoplanets: Diamond Worlds, Super Earths, Pulsar Planets, and the New Search for Life Beyond Our Solar System by Michael Summers and James Trefil, Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy by Kip Thorne, and The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos by Brian Greene.