How do cockroaches move with such agility?

• Thread starter Mt. Nixion
  • Start date
In summary, Cockroaches are able to turn and move quickly due to a model developed by researchers at the University of California - Berkeley based on their movement. This model has also been used for the development of a robot. Further information can be obtained by contacting Professor Robert Full at UCal.
Mt. Nixion
How are cockroaches able to turn and move so quickly?

Biology news on Phys.org
By the way, I don't want biological information, I want to know if it's Scaling Laws or some other physics topic.

Mt. Nixion said:
By the way, I don't want biological information, I want to know if it's Scaling Laws or some other physics topic.

Biology is physics! What is your ultimate goal here, a quantum theory on why roaches move fast? :tongue2:

It seems that a group of researchers at Univ of California - Berkeley are asking similar questions of a cockroach.. They have developed a model based on a cockroach's movement. In addition to the feedback you may get here, I would email to the researchers at UCal with same question. Prof. Robert Full head's up this group.

Last edited:
Ouabache said:
It seems that a group of researchers at Univ of California - Berkeley are asking similar questions of a cockroach.. They have developed a model based on a cockroach's movement. In addition to the feedback you may get here, I would email to the researchers at UCal with same question. Robert Full head's up this group.

I've seen the robot on tv, it's pretty slick.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I've seen the robot on tv, it's pretty slick.
I thought so too. There's quite a lot about mechanics we still can learn from insects.

1. What are the main characteristics of cockroaches?

Cockroaches are insects that have six legs, two antennae, and a flat, oval-shaped body. They are typically brown or black in color and have wings, although not all species can fly.

2. How do cockroaches survive and reproduce?

Cockroaches are known for their resilience and adaptability. They can survive in a wide range of environments and can go without food for long periods of time. They reproduce by laying eggs, which are protected in a casing called an ootheca.

3. What are the health risks associated with cockroach infestations?

Cockroaches can carry and spread bacteria, viruses, and parasites, making them a health hazard. They can also trigger allergies and asthma attacks in some people. It is important to address a cockroach infestation promptly to prevent these potential health risks.

4. How can I prevent and get rid of cockroaches in my home?

To prevent cockroaches from entering your home, make sure to seal any cracks or openings, keep your kitchen clean and free of food debris, and remove any standing water. If you already have a cockroach infestation, it is best to consult a professional pest control company for effective treatment methods.

5. Are cockroaches beneficial in any way?

While cockroaches may not be welcome in our homes, they do play a role in our ecosystem. They help break down organic matter and can serve as a food source for other animals. However, the potential health risks associated with cockroaches outweigh any potential benefits, and it is best to keep them out of our living spaces.