Understanding the Relationship Between Inductors and Resistors in an AC Circuit

In summary, the circuit contains a 250 ohm resistor and a 250mH inductor in series. The resulting current is equal to 0.5 cos (wt + 60) and the voltage across the resistor is 125mV cos (wt + 60). The inductor's impedance is 'complex' and is not included in the calculation of the current. However, the voltage across the inductor is taken into account when calculating the total voltage in the circuit.
teng125
v(rt) = 125mV cos (wt + 60)
R=250 ohms
L = 250mH
find i(t)
in the circuit there is a inductor in series wif the resistor

the answers i(t)=0.5 cos (wt+60)

may i know why is it the inductor not using to form z and then only divide by v(rt) ??why only the resistor??

Physics news on Phys.org
The resistor impedance is 'real', i.e. voltage and current are in phase. The inductor and capacitor each have reactance or 'complex' impedance. i.e voltage and current are out of phase.

so when only the inductor will be included??

yes,it is from the book

for z = 250 + j250 since w=1000 right??
then v(rt) = 125mV cos (wt + 60)

so can i divide them (v/z) ??

Ah, I think I now understand what's going on here! I apologize for the confusion.

Looking at the voltage v(rt) = 125mV cos (wt + 60)

I think that should be vR(t) = 125mV cos (wt + 60), which is the voltage across the resistor.

Then the current must be i(t) = vR(t)/R, and because the inductor and resistor are in series, the same current MUST pass through both.

Now the voltage across the resistor AND inductor is

v(t) = vR(t) + vL(t) = i(t) R + i(t) * jwL.

oo...okok thanx

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field when current flows through it. Inductors are commonly used in electronic circuits to control the flow of current and to filter out unwanted signals.

2. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that limits the flow of current in a circuit. It is designed to resist the flow of electricity and reduce the amount of voltage passing through it. Resistors are commonly used to control the amount of current in a circuit and to protect other electronic components from excessive current.

3. What is a phasor?

A phasor is a complex number that represents the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal signal. It is commonly used in electrical engineering and physics to analyze and visualize the behavior of sinusoidal signals in circuits. Phasors are especially useful in the study of alternating current (AC) circuits.

4. How are inductors and resistors related?

Inductors and resistors are two types of passive electronic components commonly used in circuits. They are related in the sense that both components can affect the flow of current in a circuit. Inductors can limit the rate of change of current, while resistors limit the amount of current. In some circuits, inductors and resistors may be used together to create specific effects, such as filtering or tuning.

5. How can I solve problems involving inductors, resistors, and phasors?

To solve problems involving inductors, resistors, and phasors, you will need to use various equations and principles from electrical engineering and physics. This may include Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and complex number arithmetic. It is important to have a solid understanding of these concepts and how they relate to each other in order to effectively solve problems involving inductors, resistors, and phasors.