Exploring the Benefits of Different Number Systems

• Thread starter iggybaseball
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, there are various number systems that have been invented aside from the commonly used base 10 system in America. These include base 2 (used by computers), base 16 (used for abbreviation), and base 8 (used in rare cases). There is also the natural base, e, which is often used in calculus. Other cultures have also used different numbering systems, such as base 20 (used by some Native American and French cultures) and base 60 (used by the Babylonians and Mayans). Ultimately, the choice of number base is based on convenience and does not change the actual value of the number.
iggybaseball
I do not know a lot about math theory, however I know that we (America) (I'm not sure if it's different for different parts of the world) use a base 10 number system. I also know that there have been other number systems invented. Can number systems other than base 10 be more beneficial for specific problems? If so, could you give an example? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first obvious example is base 2, what computers use. Computers really don't have a way of storing "part" of a value, so they deal with litteral "on" and "off" values, which are 1 and 0 respectively. Base 2 is very helpful in this arena because it allows computers to do a lot of math using just on and off signals. (Base 2 is often called "binary".)

A natural extention of base 2 is base 16 (since 2^4 = 16). This base (in computer terms called "hexadecimal") is used to abbreviate base 2 numbers since not everyone wants to have to write out all the 1s and 0s, so every hexadecimal digit corresponds to 4 binary digits.

You'll occationally see base 8 in use (2^3, go figure), but it's fairly uncommon. I believe it's most practical use is in certain biology aspects.

There is also the natural base, e, which serves as a fundamental base number that makes recursive appearances in calculus and aids in making some calculations simpler. 'e' has no rational decimal approximation (like pi), it's equivilent about 2.78...

Overall, though, the number base you choose to use for something is up to you, and it's all about convenience. Realistically, it doesn't matter what base you use, it's still the same number. The only difference is how you say it, and how easily you say it. Some bases may be faster for computer math calculations, while others may be more consise, while others may aid in solving math problems; it's just about what helps.

The only reason we use base ten is that we have ten fingers in our hands. In the antiquity some people used their fingers and toes to count and got a sort of base 20 system. This can still be seen in French that uses quatre-vingts (four twenties) to denote 80.
In ancient English they also used the word score to denote 20, so 60 could be called threescore.
Mayans also seemed to use a base 20 number system and Babylonians used a base 60 one. This is still useful in the measurement of time and angles with 60 seconds to the minute and 60 minutes to the hour or degree.

Historical note (computer base). Internally, it has always been base 2 for the reasons discussed above. In the early days of computers (up to around 1960 when IBM came out with 360 series), people used base eight as the shorthand for binary representations (3 bit numbers), while at the same time 6 bits were used for character representations. When the 360 series was introduced, IBM changed to 8 bits for character representations, so that 4 bits (hexadecimal) became the shorthand for binary representation.

As you can see in both the old and current systems, 2 "numbers" are used for each character.

Some American Indians, along the Pacific coast used a number system based on 4 (it was not an actual place value system so wasn't, technically, "base 4") because they counted using the spaces BETWEEN fingers.

I feel the need to point out that we're not talking about different number systems -- we're talking about different numeral systems.

No matter what base we use, we're still talking about the same number system. We're just discussing different notations for numbers, in particular, how we use numerals.

I was always fond of base 1.

I'll bet pretty much all of you have used it regularly at some time in your lives.

Hint: it's used a lot when scoring card games.

Attachments

• base.gif
    base.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Base 12 is probably the most useful base for a convenient numbering system. With one exception (5), it is divisible by the first 6 counting numbers. That pretty much covers all the common dividing needs we have.

(BTW, note that Base 60 is the smallest base that is divisible by all 6 of the first counting numbers. I wonder if the base 60 numbering system is a coincidence?)

DaveC426913 said:
Base 12 is probably the most useful base for a convenient numbering system. With one exception (5), it is divisible by the first 6 counting numbers. That pretty much covers all the common dividing needs we have.

(BTW, note that Base 60 is the smallest base that is divisible by all 6 of the first counting numbers. I wonder if the base 60 numbering system is a coincidence?)

I personally count large numbers (such as the number of graduates walking across the stage) using base 20. It's amazing how high you can count on just your fingers and toes! :tongue:

-Dan

1. What are the different number systems?

The different number systems are: decimal, binary, octal, hexadecimal, and Roman numerals.

2. How does binary work?

Binary is a number system that uses only the digits 0 and 1 to represent numbers. Each digit has a value based on its position in the number, with the first digit on the right having a value of 1, the second digit having a value of 2, and so on. Binary is commonly used in computer systems.

3. What is the purpose of octal and hexadecimal number systems?

Octal and hexadecimal are both used as shorthand notations for binary numbers in computer systems. Octal uses a base of 8 and hexadecimal uses a base of 16, making them more compact and easier to work with compared to long binary numbers.

4. How do Roman numerals work?

Roman numerals use letters to represent numbers. The basic symbols and their values are: I (1), V (5), X (10), L (50), C (100), D (500), and M (1000). To write a number in Roman numerals, you add or subtract the values of the letters in order from left to right. For example, 73 would be written as LXXIII.

5. In which situations would you use a non-decimal number system?

Non-decimal number systems, such as binary, octal, and hexadecimal, are commonly used in computer systems and programming. They are also used in mathematics and engineering for calculations and conversions. Roman numerals are often used for numbering lists or chapters in books, or to represent dates on clocks or watches.